none
PS2007: SQL Query for PM and Roles assigned in PWA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have two questions around a topic which deals with the roles around a project.

• How can I query the identity (or ressource) that is the assigned PM of a project? In the reporting database I only find the so called ProjectOwner, but as far as I know this ressource is not necessarily the PM of a project.
    • How can I generally query the roles of ressources that have been assigned in the PWA ?

Thanks

Sven

Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:14 PM

Answers

• Sven:

It's an interesting question. There is no official "Project Manager" field in Project Server. Instead, you have an owner at the project level and Status Managers at the task level. So, I suggest that you either create an Enterprise custom field to hold this information, or ensure in your process that the PM is always the Project Owner. Because Project Server supports multiple Status Managers in the project, attempting to do this via a query would require that you examine the status managers at the task level and make some sort of decision based on the data returned. I don't think this is a very solid approach as I've seen customers who have project managers, but schedulers serve as the Status Managers in the plan.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:25 PM

All replies

• Sven:

It's an interesting question. There is no official "Project Manager" field in Project Server. Instead, you have an owner at the project level and Status Managers at the task level. So, I suggest that you either create an Enterprise custom field to hold this information, or ensure in your process that the PM is always the Project Owner. Because Project Server supports multiple Status Managers in the project, attempting to do this via a query would require that you examine the status managers at the task level and make some sort of decision based on the data returned. I don't think this is a very solid approach as I've seen customers who have project managers, but schedulers serve as the Status Managers in the plan.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Hi Gary,

thanks for you reply. Well.. what is the best practice ? Is the Project Owner usually the PM ? If your answer is yes, then I will advice them to do so. I understand that the originally assigned Project Owner from the time of creation.. can be changed lateron. Since it is of no interest who initially created the project, then this should be the PM (=PO)

How would you handle a PMO (Project Management Office) where multiple people have PM access to the projects ? Does Project Server under the hood use this information for any permissions ?

Best Regards

Sven

Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:47 PM