none
MSFlexgrid RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I moved an application from VB5 to VS2015 Community edition, using in a number of places MSFlexgrid because it had been used previously.

I have now got a new laptop and installed VS2017 and moved the project.

MsFlexgrid no longer appears to be available. Is this correct ? If not can someone help me install it please .

Thanks for reading

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 12:16 AM

Answers

• MSFlexGrid is leftover Active X control from VB5/6 era. Probably since you had VB5 on the PC VS2015 Community was on there would be .Dll's for it or something. Really I have no idea.

However since it does not work on VS2017 on new laptop then something is missing.

I suspect the DataGridView replaced the MSFlexGrid sometime ago with regard to VB.Net. It is not wise to mix old tech with new tech or the end result is what is occuring now.

Also see DataGridView Control Overview (Windows Forms).

With regard to VB5 or 6 controls you would need to find a VB6 or less Forum for assistance.

The below info is from the 1st link though so perhaps it can help and I suspect the Visual Basic Programmers Guide it refers to may not be current although it could be - *Note*   Before you can use an MSHFlexGrid in your application, you must add the MSHFlxGd.ocx file to your project. To automatically include the file in your project, put it in the Autoload file. When distributing your application, you should install the MSHFlxGd.ocx file in the users Microsoft Windows System directory. For more information about adding an ActiveX control to a project, see "Standard ActiveX Controls" in the Visual Basic Programmers Guide."

La vida loca

• Edited by Mr. Monkeyboy Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:22 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Tuesday, April 10, 2018 10:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Denis Oxon Wednesday, April 11, 2018 10:50 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:18 AM

All replies

• MSFlexGrid is leftover Active X control from VB5/6 era. Probably since you had VB5 on the PC VS2015 Community was on there would be .Dll's for it or something. Really I have no idea.

However since it does not work on VS2017 on new laptop then something is missing.

I suspect the DataGridView replaced the MSFlexGrid sometime ago with regard to VB.Net. It is not wise to mix old tech with new tech or the end result is what is occuring now.

Also see DataGridView Control Overview (Windows Forms).

With regard to VB5 or 6 controls you would need to find a VB6 or less Forum for assistance.

The below info is from the 1st link though so perhaps it can help and I suspect the Visual Basic Programmers Guide it refers to may not be current although it could be - *Note*   Before you can use an MSHFlexGrid in your application, you must add the MSHFlxGd.ocx file to your project. To automatically include the file in your project, put it in the Autoload file. When distributing your application, you should install the MSHFlxGd.ocx file in the users Microsoft Windows System directory. For more information about adding an ActiveX control to a project, see "Standard ActiveX Controls" in the Visual Basic Programmers Guide."

La vida loca

• Edited by Mr. Monkeyboy Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:22 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Tuesday, April 10, 2018 10:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Denis Oxon Wednesday, April 11, 2018 10:50 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:18 AM
  • @John

Why are you lately so cautious in your replies? 

It is simply the DataGridView. There was a while a VBCompatible MSFlexGrid. From the VBCompatible namespace was told it would be (and is) removed from future frameworks. 

By the way, beside the data part the DataGridView misses also the the sometimes really terrible behaviour of the MSFlexGrid. 

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 10:40 AM
  • Thank you for your detailed reply, especially the links to DataGridView manuals. I am happy using MsFlexGrid, works fine for me in this application. Time has come to move to DataGridView.

I tried last night the.ocx file to the project but objections were raised, hence my posting.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 11:14 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. I haven't seen VB Compatable namespace comments about being removed. I read the document detailing changes in VB2017 and it does not list thing that have been removed, it just lists additions. Maybe MS will take this on boardvfor the future ??

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 11:16 AM
  • Thank you for your detailed reply, especially the links to DataGridView manuals. I am happy using MsFlexGrid, works fine for me in this application. Time has come to move to DataGridView.

I tried last night the.ocx file to the project but objections were raised, hence my posting.

Yes MSFlexGrid (MSFlxGrd.ocx) was installed and licensed with VB 6.0 You would need to install VB 5.0 or 6.0 or the component would not be licensed for use.

Moving to the DataGridView, as others have suggested, is the best option.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 12:04 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. I haven't seen VB Compatable namespace comments about being removed. I read the document detailing changes in VB2017 and it does not list thing that have been removed, it just lists additions. Maybe MS will take this on boardvfor the future ??

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.visualbasic.compatibility.vb6(v=vs.110).aspx

Be aware there are many posts of sharpies who think that the VB namespace is the compatible namespace.

But I see that my perception was wrong, the flexgrid was not even in that.  

But I think you better can mark the reply of mr. Monkeyboy as answer, you get no better answer than that. 

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 12:52 PM