Large Number of Properties for Azure Table Storage Entities RRS feed

• Question

• I have been working with Azure Storage Tables for about a year now. My coworker that recently joined comes from a strong SQL background. I recently was assigned the task of creating a Question and Answer module for the website where a user can ask a question and look up the appropriate answer. This module would have to handle for multiple languages.

I immediately thought about having each entity represent for an individual question/answer entry, with additional properties for each language. For example, the following properties: Question, Question_French, Question_German, etc. etc.

My coworker strongly disagreed due to scalability, citing how the number of entity properties would increase indefinitely as you add more languages (at the moment we handle for around 10 languages). Is this really bad design practice for Storage Table entities? 

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I also disagree with your solution.

By the way, translate web site page can solved your issue? If that we can use Azure Bing Translate API to do this, there was a nice tutorial at the following link, please kindly look at it. Hope it helps.

#http://blogs.msdn.com/b/translation/p/gettingstarted1.aspx

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:41 AM
  • I'd agree that your proposed structure would be cumbersome.

Instead, try appending or prepending the locale to the PartitionKey or RowKey for the entity.  This way, none of your entities data structures have to constantly change, and the time to find your item isn't increased at all.

You can also then add languages or remove them without effecting existing records.

Darin R.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:13 PM