VS2013.3 LightSwitch - An error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server instance '(LocalDB)\v11.0'. RRS feed

• Question

• After installing SQL2014 and creating a '(LocalDB)\v12.0' instance I cannot Rebuild. I get this msg:

Error 1 An error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server instance '(LocalDB)\v11.0'.
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 50 - Local Database Runtime error occurred. Cannot create an automatic instance. See the Windows Application event log for error details.
    ) C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v4.5\Microsoft.LightSwitch.targets 160 10 WeatherNow

I am not even using (localDB) and the project . . .\bin\Data folder is empty.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to get LightSwitch to use my new '(LocalDB)\v12.0' instance and not complain about the missing '(LocalDB)\v11.0' instance?

Z A R D O Z

Saturday, November 1, 2014 2:07 PM

Answers

• Lloyd,

Do a search on this forum and you'll find out that Sql server 2014 and LightSwitch are not really compatible. 

Quite annoying, I know...

paul van bladel ==independent enterprise application architect== http://blog.pragmaswitch.com

• Marked as answer by Z A R D O Z Sunday, November 2, 2014 2:02 AM
    Saturday, November 1, 2014 6:31 PM

All replies

• Lloyd,

Do a search on this forum and you'll find out that Sql server 2014 and LightSwitch are not really compatible. 

Quite annoying, I know...

paul van bladel ==independent enterprise application architect== http://blog.pragmaswitch.com

• Marked as answer by Z A R D O Z Sunday, November 2, 2014 2:02 AM
    Saturday, November 1, 2014 6:31 PM
  • Thx Paul. I did find a number of similar posts from the community but my case seemed slightly different. It seems that a SQL2012 localDB dependency is hard-coded into LS2013!!!

I have been deploying to SQL 2014 on IIS 8.5 without an issue for months & months but when I install it on my dev PC LS breaks. VS repair also failed so I did a reinstall over the top of my current Win 7 VS2013.3 install (uninstall of VS didn't work either & I couldn't be bothered trying a forced uninstall) . . . I can now build & run my apps again. Happier camper but still a bit disgruntled at being put through this. My 2014 LocalDB instance still seems OK and my SQ2014 is unaffected by the VS2013.3 reinstall, so it just seems to be the sequence of events. If you install SQL 2014 & then VS2013.3 after that you could/should be OK.

Z A R D O Z

Sunday, November 2, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Hi all,

I am facing the same Problem but with VS 2012.

After all my bad experiences with localdb, I guess it's better to let that feature optional or even to remove it. Programmers using LightSwitch are used to deal with databases. They don't need an small pseudo-database that prevents them to do the nitty-gritty: developing software!

I am now installing VS 2012 Update 5 and hope this problem will be hide away. If not I will stop developing with lightswitch though I love it.

Friday, August 28, 2015 11:24 AM
  • Well my solution was to reinstall VS2013.3 after my SQL 2014 install. That fixed the problem. A reinstall may also work in your case too. localdb has its place but it seems as though they'd hard-coded the version into LightSwitch :-(

Z A R D O Z

Friday, August 28, 2015 12:16 PM