[Exchange-Online][EWS][C#] Impersonation and AutoDiscover RRS feed

• Question

• My company has an existing application that uses EWS (not managed API) and Impersonation to communicate with Exchange 2007 and 2010 servers.

I was under the impression that Impersonation was not supported in BPOS/Exchange online, but reading this article changed my mind.

Now I'm wondering if I need to make any adaptations to my existing code for Impersonation, or will it just work for Exchange Online? The article just mentions the Managed API, so I'm curious as to if it will work with regular EWS. (I am aware the provisioning/configuration is different, but I'm just asking about the code here).

Also, is it a MUST so use AutoDiscover to get an appropriate EWS URL for Exchange Online or can I still use a static URL?

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:43 AM

Answers

• Impersonation is supported in Office365 which is what the article is targeting the older BPOS service is running on 2007 and didn't support Impersonation (from a hosting persepctive). Impersonation is a EWS feature its just easier to use in the Managed API but will work find with proxy code if you are already using it there no changes you need to make for Exchange online. You should use Autodiscover for reliablity you can target https://autodiscover-s.outlook.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml if you dont have DNS configured and you'll get redirected to the appicable CAS server for EWS.

Cheers
    Glen

• Marked as answer by Jellobiafra Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:03 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:39 AM

All replies

• Impersonation is supported in Office365 which is what the article is targeting the older BPOS service is running on 2007 and didn't support Impersonation (from a hosting persepctive). Impersonation is a EWS feature its just easier to use in the Managed API but will work find with proxy code if you are already using it there no changes you need to make for Exchange online. You should use Autodiscover for reliablity you can target https://autodiscover-s.outlook.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml if you dont have DNS configured and you'll get redirected to the appicable CAS server for EWS.

Cheers
    Glen

• Marked as answer by Jellobiafra Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:03 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:39 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Glen, you clarified a few things for me. :)
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:03 AM