none
VS2010 Ultimate project templates are blank RRS feed

• Question

• I instaled VS2010 Ultimate on my work machine and upon opening the New Project dialog I see that it is empty. There are no project templates. Also when I opened an existing .Net 4.0 project, I could not compile it. It seems like the install did not complete correctly. But I did not receive any errors during or after the VS2010 Setup process or I couldn't find anything obvious in the install log files.

My machine configuration is:
    Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit. Build 7600.
    VS2008 previously installed and working

Here is the list of things I have tried and that has not resolved the issue:
    Uninstalled VS2010 using the VS2010_Uninstall-RTM.ENU.exe utility and reinstalled .Net4.0 and VS2010 as Administrator.
    Ran the devenv /setup, devenv /InstallVSTemplates commands from both VS2010 Command Prompt and VS2010 Win64 Command Prompt as administrator.

Any other suggestions or help would be appreciated.

thanks.

Monday, December 27, 2010 8:11 PM

Answers

• Larcolais,

Sorry to have gone underground for a while. I opened a MS Tech Support ticket and they ran the .net framework verification utility on my Win7 machine and reported that the .Net framework 2.0 and 3.5 that comes installed as a Win7 OS component failed for verification. I then talked to my desktop support team and they suspected that the Win7 image that they used to build the machine could be bad. So finally I got hold of a Win7 CD and reformatted my machine and installed Win7 on it and then installed VS2008 and VS2010 and everything works fine now.

So it was a bad Win7 image to start with after all. But it was surprising why the VS2010 installer didn't complain about it but said everything was installed successfully.

Anyway thanks for following up.

britto

• Marked as answer by brittoa Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:50 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi brittoa,

Thank you for posting.

The current status is: (If I misunderstood, please feel free to elaborate your question kindly.)

1. Visual Studio 2010 was installed on your machine successfully.

2. When you want to create a new project, you find ‘New Project’ is empty.

It seems that the default project templates were corrupted. Please try the following suggestions.

1. Backup ItemTemplatesCache and ProjectTemplatesCache two folders. (You can find these two folders on <Visual Studio installation path> \Common7\IDE)

2. Delete these two folders.

3. Type ‘Devenv.exe /installvstemplates' and try it again.

Please feel free to let me know how it works.

Best Regards,

Larcolais

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Larcolais,

Thanks for your response. Yes you are correct in understanding my issue. The VS2010 install was successfull but my "New Project" dialog is empty.

So I followed your suggestion and deleted both the ItemsTemplateCache and ProjectTemplateCache folders and ran devenv /setup command again. The issue is not resolved. I still do not see any project items in my "New Projects" dialog.

regards

britto

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:13 PM
  • Hi brittoa,

Thank you for your feedback.

Can you try to run ‘Devenv.exe /installvstemplates’ after you deleted these two folders? (ItemTemplatesCache and ProjectTemplatesCache) Does it work?

Furthermore, have you installed add-in or other extensions on your machine? If yes, could you please remove add-in? Then try ‘Devenv.exe /installvstemplates’ again.

For similar issue, please see:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/8a5ae9e3-be7b-493d-831c-1e49e8103f26/

Best Regards,

Larcolais

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:39 AM
  • Larcolais

My apologies. I did delete the cache folders and ran the devenv /Installvstemplates command the first time. I just mistyped that I ran the setup command. To be sure I deleted the cache folders and ran the command one more time now. The issue still remains.

I have not installed any add-in or extensions. This is a fresh install of VS2010. I even opened it in devenv /safemode and the project dialog is still empty.

I also looked at the link you gave me and checked on the settings and suggestions offered in that thread. All the settings look normal. None of the suggestions on the thread worked either. I still have an empty new project dialog.

britto

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:50 PM
  • Hi brittoa,

I’m sorry to know that it doesn’t still work. Let me try other ways to make your issue narrow down.

Could you please type ‘Devenv.exe /log’ to collect some log files? It will help us to troubleshoot issues. Run this command and the log file will be written out to %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Visual Studio\<version number>\ActivityLog.xml

Please see: http://saraford.net/2005/10/20/use-devenv-log-to-troubleshoot-vs-issues/

Furthermore, you can try the Process Monitor tool http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx which can capture the access log.
    Filter on the process name setup.exe in the log so that you see only the related list.
    This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the hang happens.

If you have any findings, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Larcolais

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]

Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:45 AM
  • Hi brittoa,

Any update?

Best Regards,

Larcolais

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]

Monday, January 3, 2011 5:51 AM
  • Larcolais,

Sorry to have gone underground for a while. I opened a MS Tech Support ticket and they ran the .net framework verification utility on my Win7 machine and reported that the .Net framework 2.0 and 3.5 that comes installed as a Win7 OS component failed for verification. I then talked to my desktop support team and they suspected that the Win7 image that they used to build the machine could be bad. So finally I got hold of a Win7 CD and reformatted my machine and installed Win7 on it and then installed VS2008 and VS2010 and everything works fine now.

So it was a bad Win7 image to start with after all. But it was surprising why the VS2010 installer didn't complain about it but said everything was installed successfully.

Anyway thanks for following up.

britto

• Marked as answer by brittoa Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:50 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:50 PM