none
Connecting to Exchange 2010 Personal Archive mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've downloaded the Exchange 2010 protocol docs and looked over them in reguards to the new personal archive mailbox feature.  There doesn't appear to be any information for connecting to it via the Exchange Server Protocols.  Do I just need to figure out the archive mailbox's exchangeDN to connect to it like a normal mailbox using RopLogon?  I'm still in process of getting the 2010 RC installed to examine it myself. 

There isn't a lot of helpful information out that about the personal archive and how it will be accessed problematically.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:55 PM

Answers

• Joe,

Turns out content was added to the Exchange Server 2010 Beta documentation that covers the new online archive feature. 

From your perspective the online archive for a user is treated just like another mailbox. 

The section 2.2.3.2.5 AlternativeMailbox of [MS-OXDSCLI] covers the mailbox in the reponse via AutoDiscover.  This alternative mailbox gives you the information to logon to the mailbox.

If the retention policy and/or archive Policy features are enabled, then the application stores configuration data in a tags list stream in an Folder Associated Information (FAI) message.  The FAI message is contained in the Inbox folder. The FAI message must have the PidTagMessageClass PtypString property set to "IPM.Configuration.MRM".   In addition there is a XML document that is stored in PidTagRoamingXmlStream that must conform to the documented XSD schema in section 2.2.3.2.3 Retention and Archive Settings of [MS-OXOCFG].

There are some additional Message Object Properties documented in section 2.2.1.22 Retention and Archive of [MS-OXCMSG].  I have passed your feedback to development asking for more details to help bring this together.

Thank you for your feedback and interest in the Exchange Server protocol.

Developer Consultant
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:56 PM
  • Sorry I missed your follow-up question. 

Yes you can use a LDAP query to find the attributes on the user.  The attributes on the user are msExchArchiveGUID and msExchArchiveName. 

Hope this helps.
    Developer Consultant
    Friday, December 18, 2009 12:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

I will ask Exchange development to see if there are any new additions to the Exchange 2010 protocol documentation that cover this new functionality in Exchange 2010. 

Developer Consultant
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:45 AM
  • Joe,

Turns out content was added to the Exchange Server 2010 Beta documentation that covers the new online archive feature. 

From your perspective the online archive for a user is treated just like another mailbox. 

The section 2.2.3.2.5 AlternativeMailbox of [MS-OXDSCLI] covers the mailbox in the reponse via AutoDiscover.  This alternative mailbox gives you the information to logon to the mailbox.

If the retention policy and/or archive Policy features are enabled, then the application stores configuration data in a tags list stream in an Folder Associated Information (FAI) message.  The FAI message is contained in the Inbox folder. The FAI message must have the PidTagMessageClass PtypString property set to "IPM.Configuration.MRM".   In addition there is a XML document that is stored in PidTagRoamingXmlStream that must conform to the documented XSD schema in section 2.2.3.2.3 Retention and Archive Settings of [MS-OXOCFG].

There are some additional Message Object Properties documented in section 2.2.1.22 Retention and Archive of [MS-OXCMSG].  I have passed your feedback to development asking for more details to help bring this together.

Thank you for your feedback and interest in the Exchange Server protocol.

Developer Consultant
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:56 PM
  • Thanks for gathering this.  This is very helpful.

Joe
    Friday, October 2, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Hi,

Is it possible to access Personal Archive mailbox via MAPI?
    Any documentation/links that you can provide would be helpful.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:07 PM
  • Hi,

As mentioned above it is just another mailbox.  You just need to review the section 2.2.3.2.5 AlternativeMailbox of [MS-OXDSCLI] covers the mailbox in the reponse via AutoDiscover.  This alternative mailbox gives you the information to logon to the mailbox via MAPI.

Does this help?

Developer Consultant
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Hi,

As mentioned above it is just another mailbox.  You just need to review the section 2.2.3.2.5 AlternativeMailbox of [MS-OXDSCLI] covers the mailbox in the reponse via AutoDiscover.  This alternative mailbox gives you the information to logon to the mailbox via MAPI.

Does this help?

Developer Consultant

Beside calling AutoDiscover webservice to get the info, would we be able to do LDAP query to get PersonalArchive mailbox info?

I will get the chance to experiment once I have Exchange 2010 installed.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Sorry I missed your follow-up question. 

Yes you can use a LDAP query to find the attributes on the user.  The attributes on the user are msExchArchiveGUID and msExchArchiveName. 

Hope this helps.
    Developer Consultant
    Friday, December 18, 2009 12:28 AM