I am trying to upgrade my extension to VS 2019, and the VSIX installer only lists 2017 as an option RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the Visual Studio 2019 RC that came out a couple of days ago.

I thought I modified my manifest correctly, I even used the GUI and still the installer only lists 2017 as an install choice.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <PackageManifest Version="2.0.0" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/vsx-schema/2011" xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/vsx-schema-design/2011">
        <Metadata>
            <Identity Id="91a3b3a1-be96-4b39-8b07-a99832fb4d2e" Version="2.3" Language="en-US" Publisher="Data Juggler" />
            <DisplayName>Regionizer</DisplayName>
            <Description>An advanced C# document formatter.</Description>
            <License>Regionizer License Terms.rtf</License>
            <Icon>RAD Studio Icon.ico</Icon>
            <PreviewImage>Regionizer Image Preview.png</PreviewImage>
        </Metadata>
        <Installation>
            <InstallationTarget Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Community" Version="[15.0,16.0)" />
            <InstallationTarget Version="[15.0,16.0)" Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Pro" />
            <InstallationTarget Version="[15.0,16.0)" Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Enterprise" />
        </Installation>
        <Dependencies>
        </Dependencies>
        <Assets>
            <Asset Type="Microsoft.VisualStudio.VsPackage" d:Source="Project" d:ProjectName="%CurrentProject%" Path="|%CurrentProject%;PkgdefProjectOutputGroup|" />
        </Assets>
        <Prerequisites>
            <Prerequisite Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.CoreEditor" Version="[15.8.27729.1,16.0)" DisplayName="Visual Studio core editor" />
        </Prerequisites>
    </PackageManifest>

Just to clarify, I want to target Visual Studio 2017 and 2019.

This projects and manifest has evolved from Visual Studio 2010 object model, so if the manifest format is outdated or something needs to be changed to show 2019 I am open to whatever works (good Woody Allen movie also).

Is it possible the Release Candidate is the problem, or is this supposed to work by now?

Thanks

Saturday, March 2, 2019 11:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• You need to change InstallationTarget to [15.0,17.0) and Prerequisite to [15.8.27729.1,).

See How to upgrade extensions to support Visual Studio 2019 for more details.

Sergey Vlasov | Vlasov Studio | Visual Studio extensions and tools

• Marked as answer by Data.Jugggler Monday, March 4, 2019 2:08 AM
    Sunday, March 3, 2019 3:30 AM
  • Thank you. That worked.

I think I did read that article, but having someone point out what it should be prevents the problem from happening due to reader's interpretation skills, aka the error occurred between keyboard and chair.

I will name a hospital after you one day.

Monday, March 4, 2019 2:11 AM
  • Hi friend,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

We are so glad to hear that Sergey Vlasov's reply works for you, thank you for your confirmation.

If you have any other issues, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Sara 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, March 4, 2019 3:35 AM