How to enable reader to send page using their email RRS feed

• Question

• I created a web page in Expression. I want to copy everything to send in an email and that works fine. Is there a way to add a button/code on the page so that when the reader clicks it opens their email app so they can forward the email to a friend?
    Philip Hoskins
    Friday, June 3, 2011 9:33 PM

All replies

• Insert > hperlink and select Email Address:

This will put the web site link in the body of the email:
    <a href="mailto:?subject=Check this web page&amp;body=www.website.com">Email</a>

Expression Web MVP
    Friday, June 3, 2011 10:33 PM
  • I created a web page in Expression. I want to copy everything to send in an email and that works fine

Rather than sending the entire page in the body of an email (which seems to be what your first statement suggests) it is easier to do as Steve Easton suggested - create a link with the site URL in the body of the message, leaving the "To" field blank for the user to fill it in and send it to whomever they like.

Is there a way to add a button/code on the page so that when the reader clicks it opens their email app so they can forward the email to a friend?

You could use a "Send this page to a friend" script - http://tinyurl.com/3ftpqln

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)

Friday, June 3, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Thank you Steve. I must be doing something wrong because the web site link does not appear in the body of email and the <a href="mailto: appears in the address box of the email?
    Philip Hoskins
    Friday, June 3, 2011 11:13 PM
  • I want to send this as an email newsletter. I just used Expression as a way to design the html. Sending as a link is not nearly as effective in getting the recipients to actually read the message.

A draft of the page that I will put up on my website but want to just copy the entire page into the email is at www,estateprobatelawyer.com/June Newsletter,.html if that is of any help

Philip Hoskins
    Friday, June 3, 2011 11:17 PM
  • One of the scripts for "tell a friend" works just fine so I probably will just go with that

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    <!-- Begin

//Script by Trånn: http://come.to/tronds
    //Submitted to JavaScript Kit (http://javascriptkit.com)
    //Visit http://javascriptkit.com for this script

var initialsubj="Hay buddy, take a look at this"
    var initialmsg="Hi:\n You may want to check out this site: "+window.location
    var good;
    function checkEmailAddress(field) {

var goodEmail = field.value.match(/\b(^(\S+@).+((\.com)|(\.net)|(\.edu)|(\.mil)|(\.gov)|(\.org)|(\.info)|(\.sex)|(\.biz)|(\.aero)|(\.coop)|(\.museum)|(\.name)|(\.pro)|(\..{2,2}))$)\b/gi);
    if (goodEmail) {
    good = true;
    }
    else {
    alert('Please enter a valid address.');
    field.focus();
    field.select();
    good = false;
       }
    }
    u = window.location;
    function mailThisUrl() {
    good = false
    checkEmailAddress(document.eMailer.email);
    if (good) {

//window.location = "mailto:"+document.eMailer.email.value+"?subject="+initialsubj+"&body="+document.title+" "+u;
    window.location = "mailto:"+document.eMailer.email.value+"?subject="+initialsubj+"&body="+initialmsg
       }
    }
    //  End -->
    </script>

<form name="eMailer">
    Tell a friend:
    <input type="text" name="email" size="26" value="     Enter Address Here" onFocus="this.value=''" onMouseOver="window.status='Enter email address here and tell a friend about this site...'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status='';return true">
    <br />
    <input type="button" value="Send this URL" onMouseOver="window.status='Click to send an email (with this page address) to a friend! Enter email address above...'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status='';return true" onClick="mailThisUrl();">
    </form>

Philip Hoskins
    Friday, June 3, 2011 11:22 PM
  • Ahh, but this only works on a webpage, not within an email as I want.  More research
    Philip Hoskins
    Friday, June 3, 2011 11:25 PM
  • I am very confused about what you are trying to do.

HTML in an email is very different from HTML on a webpage.  Email clients are far more restrictive about what will work.

If users get your email and want to forward it, they'll do that, using whatever forwarding method their email client (or web email) uses.  You can't (and shouldn't even think of trying to) take over their email client and issue the forwarding command, if that is what you are trying to do.

Saturday, June 4, 2011 12:17 AM
  • I simply wanted to give them an easy way to forward the email, but you may be right, it is easy enough to do without my help. I used the script on the website version of this though because that does work.

Thanks.

Philip Hoskins
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 12:21 AM
  • Also keep in mind that many people can't receive HTML e-mail for security reasons and that e-mail clients suck at rendering all but the simplest layouts. And they suck in different ways from one another.

Always send a plain text version of the page along with the HTML version.

The bird, the bee, the running child are all the same to the sliding glass door. Dimitri Martin
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 3:03 AM
  • Thank you Steve. I must be doing something wrong because the web site link does not appear in the body of email and the <a href="mailto: appears in the address box of the email?
    Philip Hoskins

Copy and paste what I posted into code view and then edit to add the correct website.
    the hyperlink dialog in EW does'nt allow you to add the body part

Expression Web MVP
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 1:36 PM