Mounting Azure FIle Share on Windows RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I'm trying to mount a Azure File Share on an on-premise Windows Server 2012R. I got the connecting command from my Azure account and it is 

net use [drive letter] \\******.file.core.windows.net\testshare /u:**** [storage account access key]

I'm not quite able to figure out what is the drive to be used here replacing this [drive letter]. I just have one drive which is C: and when I used that I'm getting 

System error 85 has occurred.

The local device name is already in use.

It would be helpful, if I get directions on creating a new partition if needed or how to create a network drive/share or something that I need to mount this share locally. 

I have no prior experience with using net use. 

Regards,
    Niranjan

• Edited by niru_utd Thursday, January 19, 2017 11:39 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Niranjan,

In addition to Floris’s response.

Kindly check the below documentation for the possible causes/fixes for ‘System Error 53’:

"Error 53" or "Error 67" when you try to mount or unmount an Azure File Share

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful.

• Proposed as answer by vikranth s Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by niru_utd Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:27 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Niranjan,

you shoud replace [drive letter] with a drive letter that does not exist. So C: would be the wrong choice here. Mapping a drive with net use creates a new drive letter.

So eg.

net use T: \\******.file.core.windows.net\testshare /u:**** [storage account access key]

To remove the mapped drive when you're done, you can do:

net use T: /D

Floris van der Ploeg - www.florisvanderploeg.com

If my post was helpfull, remember to click the "Propose as answer" button.

• Proposed as answer by vikranth s Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:46 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:31 PM
  • Hi Floris, 

Thanks a lot for your response. I did try with a drive letter that doesn't exist but I got a new error now 

System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

I understand that my machine isn't able to reach the File Share machine but I'm not sure what is prohibiting this. Do I need to change any network settings in my local machine? Please let me know what would possibly cause this. 

Regards,
    Niranjan

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 12:08 PM
  • Hi Niranjan,

that error is indeed given when your computer can't reach the network share. There should be no need to reconfigure your network settings. However, if you're behind a firewall, or behind a proxy, this could cause connection issues.

Floris van der Ploeg - www.florisvanderploeg.com

If my post was helpfull, remember to click the "Propose as answer" button.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 1:04 PM
  • Hi Niranjan,

In addition to Floris’s response.

Kindly check the below documentation for the possible causes/fixes for ‘System Error 53’:

"Error 53" or "Error 67" when you try to mount or unmount an Azure File Share

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful.

• Marked as answer by niru_utd Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:27 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:01 PM
  • Hi  Vikranth, 

That is a very useful link that you've shared, I queried TCP:445 using PortQry and found that it is blocked/filtered. 

Thanks a lot for the response. 

Regards,
    Niranjan
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:30 AM