Unable to launch LightSwitch Server VslsHost.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I suddenly ran into problem with the lightswitch project, now I am not able to launch and debug the program because I get Dialog box saying Unable to launch LightSwitch Server. Unable to start program bin\debug\VslsHost.exe

the filename or extension is too long. I have tried to change between the debug and release mode, also cleaned and rebuild everything. I have tried other projects and they work just fine.

I hope to find some insight for the issue.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:47 PM

Answers

• It seems that this is caused by GrantedPermissions value length in lsproj.user I have 100+ permissions added. Project runs when I remove enough of them. I suppose that VslsHost.exe is launching with parameters defined in lsproj.user file and therefore tells that filename or extension is too long.

Any work arounds for this?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:03 PM

All replies

• How many characters make up the full path to bin\debug\vslshost.exe?  The max file path is 260, so if you are anywhere close to that number, try shortening some folder names.

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:55 AM
  • Hi Dave,

the path is almost C: root and the other projects are in same depth of the tree and they work just fine, when I open other projects the lightswitch server process is opened, but with this project there is no lightswitch server process open.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:17 AM
  • It seems that this is caused by GrantedPermissions value length in lsproj.user I have 100+ permissions added. Project runs when I remove enough of them. I suppose that VslsHost.exe is launching with parameters defined in lsproj.user file and therefore tells that filename or extension is too long.

Any work arounds for this?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Just to be clear, based on you mentioning GrantedPermissions, you're talking about how many permissions have been ticked as "Granted for Deug" (in the Access Control tab of the project's properties), right? Not the actual number of permissions that are defined for the application.

And by "removing enough of them", you mean unselecting them, not deleting them, yes?

I just want it to be clear for anyone else reading this thread.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:40 PM
  • Hi Yann,

Yes exactly how many are ticked "Granted for debug". Yes when I untick "Granted for debug" enough of them then the project runs. I suppose the max amount is 256 that can be ticked for "Granted for debug".

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification. :-)

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:37 AM