none
Visual Studio 2012 is missing a WinForms partial class in solution explorer

Question

• Hello,

After formatting my PC and reinstalling Windows and Visual Studio 2012 Professional I have a weird issue in my WinForms projects. In solution explorer I can't see the partial class of the form when I expand the tree as in the image below. The issue is not with it not being in safe mode (checked) and the form is properly added to the solution file (as it's totally fresh project). Any ideas how to fix it?

PS. I had same issue on Visual Studio 2015 Professional before formatting my PC.

Friday, July 01, 2016 7:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi jabolx,

I test it using different VS2015 machines.

For example, if I use the VS2015 Enterprise/community with update 2. I will get the result like the following screen shot:

But if I test it using the VS2012 pro with update 5, it really has no the "Form1" item.

Just to make this issue clearly, do you install the update 3 for your VS2015?

Maybe you could check that whether it is related to certain package like this thread I met before if you use the update 2:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/20cd09c5-705f-4324-8009-2af974ffd8cb/problem-with-missing-winforms-form-class-file-in-solution-explorer?forum=visualstudiogeneral

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 04, 2016 10:01 AM
  • Hello Jack,

Thanks for the answer. I have VS2012 Pro with Update 5 and VS2015 Pro with Update 3. I had the same issue in VS2015 Pro with Update 2 so the new Update didn't help much in that regard. In case of VS2015 from what I figured issue is Microsoft .NET Core Preview. When I uninstall it and than reinstall VS2015 it shows properly. But as soon as I install .NET Core Preview it's gone again. For VS2012 this "fix" doesn't work. It's pretty weird as I had also VS2012 before formatting my PC with Update 5 and it was OK back then - only VS2015 was broken in this regard.

It may indeed be some kind of combination of things that causes this - maybe something installed that I didn't had before for VS2012, but I hardly have anything installed at the moment - only some usual programming stuff.

I tried SafeMode, disabling packages and all this fancy stuff and nothing really fixes it. I seen on forums that some other people also have this issue so it's not that uncommon. Maybe someone could take a look at this from the code side and figure it out what may cause this strange behaviour.

Best regards.

Monday, July 04, 2016 6:47 PM
  • Hi jabolx,

>>I had the same issue in VS2015 Pro with Update 2 so the new Update didn't help much in that regard. In case of VS2015 from what I figured issue is Microsoft .NET Core Preview. 

I think I could repro this issue in my side.

It had the Form item before, and then I installed the ASP.NET AND Web Tools( .NET Core Preview) under the Extensions and Updates, create a new WinForm app, it really has no the Form class now.

So for the VS2015 IDE, I think it would be a real feedback. I help you submit a feedback here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedbackdetail/view/2894457/no-form-class-in-solution-explorer-window-after-installing-the-net-core-preview-in-vs2015

If possible, you could vote it.

Since the VS2012 was an old VS version, the connect report didn't support it, if possible, you could use the latest VS2015, and maybe we could get latest information from the report team directly.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 6:44 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for creating the ticket. I already upvoted it. I hope the issue with VS2012 and VS2015 will get fixed soon somehow or a workaround will be published.

Best Regards.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016 4:34 PM
  • You are welcome, jabolx:)

Thanks for your feedback,

As we already submit one feedback on the Microsoft Connect site, let's focus on the case on that channel, may the senior members can provide more professional support.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, July 07, 2016 11:32 AM