AccessDeniedException in C++ call to ConnectAsync - XAML version works fine, JS version fails

Question

• I'm starting from the SmoothStreaming sample at msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj573656(v=vs.90).aspx and replacing the Byte Stream Handlers with a scheme handler to handle "http:", then specifying the video tag in the HTML files as a URL linking to a file I want to request from a server.

I have added a C++ project to the solution, with an ActivateableClass. This works to the extent that if I set the "Internet (Client)" capability in the manifest, a breakpoint in my scheme handler is hit. But if I also (or only) turn on "Private Networks" the C++ class doesn't get called.

However, I definitely need the "Private Networks" capability.

Can you tell me what's going on? Is there something else I need to do to make the "Private Network" capability interface to my C++ class?

I have added an Extension section to the manifest, which specifies the ActivatableClassId, I have an IDL file which specifies it as a runtimeclass, and of course I have an ActivatableClass macro in the class itself....what am I missing???I've tried turning off the firewall, but that didn't help.

I have a XAML based version which uses the same C++ code, and that works fine - if I turn on the "Private Networking" capability, the C++ is called, as I'd expect. But the JS/HTML version doesn't.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Monday, October 14, 2013 3:23 AM

Answers

• It looks as though the problem is connected with my having specified an unknown file extension in the video source.

This code works OK:

WinJS.Utilities.query("#schemaHandlerVideo")[0].src = "http://path/hls-m3u8";

If the '-' in the filename is replaced by a '.' however, the C++ class isn't called.

That is probably enough to go on to sort this out, so I will mark this as answered. Thanks!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:29 AM

All replies

• I am not sure what is going on but it doesn't sound right.  Can you post a simple repro to SkyDrive?

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Monday, October 14, 2013 7:25 PM
  • I'm sure I can, do you mean a version which lets you reproduce the problem? I also don't know anything about SkyDrive, do you have a link that will explain it to dummies like me?

Thanks!

Monday, October 14, 2013 9:01 PM
  • It looks as though the problem is connected with my having specified an unknown file extension in the video source.

This code works OK:

WinJS.Utilities.query("#schemaHandlerVideo")[0].src = "http://path/hls-m3u8";

If the '-' in the filename is replaced by a '.' however, the C++ class isn't called.

That is probably enough to go on to sort this out, so I will mark this as answered. Thanks!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:29 AM