none
[RDP protocol] how to handle mouse cursor correctly? RRS feed

• Question

• During implementation of RDP client we faced with incorrect cursor packets when user moves mouse cursor  on vSphere Client console window.

Steps to reproduce:

- Connect to Windows 2012 host with installed VmWare vSphere Client.

- Select a Windows 2008 host and open its console.

- Open Notepad on that Windows 2008 host.

Current behavior:

Mstsc displays cursors correctly. But in FreeRDP and in our client we receive FASTPATH_UPDATETYPE_PTR_DEFAULT only if user moves cursor on vSphere Client console window. So we don't see correct cursors e.g. text cursor or size cursor.

Could you explain how to handle mouse cursor correctly on vSphere Client console window? How mstsc handles this case?

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:42 PM

Answers

• We have closed this incident since we did not receive any further communication from you, we have assumed you no longer needed assistance on this particular inquiry at this time. In the future, should you need help on the open specifications, please send us your question by email or start a new forum thread and we will be happy to help.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open Specifications

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 10:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Martin,
    Thank you for this inquiry regarding RDP protocols. One of our engineers will review this and follow-up soon.

Thanks,
    Edgar

Thursday, October 8, 2015 2:07 AM
  • Hello Martin, I will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:26 PM
  • Hello Martin, I've attempted to reproduce the issue using windows RDP client. Below are the sequence of events from my repro attempt.

1. An application running in the remote session shows the hour glass style cursor.
    2. Disconnected this mstsc based RDP session manually.
    3. Started network traffic capture and connected to the same session.
    4. The application detects that it had lost focus during session disconnect, So it now shows a system default cursor in the mstsc RDP window.

If the application had not reset the mouse cursor, then the network trace would have been of value to us because then we can check if the server sent FASTPATH_UPDATETYPE_PTR_DEFAULT, FASTPATH_UPDATETYPE_POINTER.

Are you saying that in your scenario, as soon as your client makes a connection, even though you have not moved the mouse from your desktop into the client area of the mstsc RDP window, you could see the correct mouse pointer as set by the application running on the remote machine ?

Can you confirm the sequence of events by sending an e-mail to dochelp at microsoft dot com ? Please send me a decrypted network trace corresponding to those events. If you need assistance in decrypting it please let me know and I will reply with detailed instructions.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications

Monday, October 12, 2015 10:06 PM
  • Hi,
    Thanks for response!
    I will send you decrypted network trace as soon as possible.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 3:50 PM
  • Update as of 11/19

From the provided network trace loaded in Microsoft Netmon tool we could see that the server is sending several updates for pointerUpdateData. The action plan is to check what the client did with those updates and why the pointer image isn't being shown despite these updates. Also verify if this issue is reproducible if the session host is a Windows 8/ 8.1 Or Windows 2012/2012 R2 ?

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla

Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:23 PM
  • We have closed this incident since we did not receive any further communication from you, we have assumed you no longer needed assistance on this particular inquiry at this time. In the future, should you need help on the open specifications, please send us your question by email or start a new forum thread and we will be happy to help.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 10:02 PM