Fetch secret values from AKV and pass to Extended properties in Custom Activity RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any activity or workaround where I can connect to AKV and fetch the secret values and later pass them in Custom Activity - Extended properties in dynamic expression? 

I have achieved similar scenario where I had to get some values from DB and pass to the path in copy data activity 

So Lookup activity query gives output like below and I could use "Env" further in subsequent task. Looking for something which can give me below like details in output by fetching secrets from AKV.

Output
    { "firstRow": { "Env": "dev" },

Cheers
    Vaibhav
    MCSA (SQL Server 2014)

Friday, September 13, 2019 1:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Vaibhav,

I don't think that you can use a Get Metadata or a Lookup activity to retrieve a key from the key vault and pass it to a custom activity.

The recommended way is to retrieve keys and secrets using REST APIs and the SDK within your custom activity.

Hope this helps.

Monday, September 16, 2019 8:25 AM

All replies

• Please let me know if anyone has idea on this

Cheers
    Vaibhav
    MCSA (SQL Server 2014)

Monday, September 16, 2019 6:06 AM
  • Hi Vaibhav,

I don't think that you can use a Get Metadata or a Lookup activity to retrieve a key from the key vault and pass it to a custom activity.

The recommended way is to retrieve keys and secrets using REST APIs and the SDK within your custom activity.

Hope this helps.

Monday, September 16, 2019 8:25 AM
  • Hi Vaibhav,

Just wanted to check - was the above suggestion helpful to you? If yes, please consider upvoting and/or marking it as answer. This would help other community members reading this thread.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:53 AM
  • Hi Vaibhav,

Hope this helps.

Yes, we are planning to modify the .NET code, get AKV secret URL from extended property passed in factory and fetch secret value. We will use this new exe and see how it works. 

Cheers
    Vaibhav
    MCSA (SQL Server 2014)

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:43 AM