Connect to Device RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Visual Studio 2008 Pro with SP1 on Windows 7 Beta. I have created a small project in C# that I want to load onto a HTC Snap S523 Smartphone, which uses Windows Mobile 6.1. I can connect to the phone through ActiveSync and copy files to it using Windows Explore. I have installed the Sample Privilaged Developer - Windows Mobile SDK certificate on the phone and signed my project with it. When I use Tools>Connect to Device>Windows Mobile 6 Standard Device I get a message stating Connection failed. The device security configuration dissallowed the connection. Ensure you have the appropriate certificates on your device for deveopment.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    • Moved by YiChun Chen Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:24 AM Smart Device issue (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Sagana,

I am moving this thread from Base "Visual Studio Setup and Installation" forum to the "Windows Mobile Development" forum, since the issue is related to smart device. There are more smart device experts in the " Windows Mobile Development " forum.
    Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

Please install the sdk certificates before the connection, as shown in the following thread:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssmartdevicesvbcs/thread/0ed2e40f-be95-4afc-b2e9-9e0dfd6a9f1a 

Windows Mobile Standard (or Smartphone) usually have a stricter security settings than Windows Mobile Professional. You can use [VS2008>Tools>Device Security Manager] to view and change the security configuration of a WM device.

Regards,
    Chunsheng Tang
    Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community members.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by warrentang Friday, September 4, 2009 6:12 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 9:26 AM
  • Hi - thanks for the reply. For the VS2008>Tools>Device Security Manager to work, it first wants to be connected to the device which fails with the message about certificates.

Following the suggested threads seems to refer almost exclusively to Windows Mobile 5, but assuming that is still all relevant in 6.1, I have found nothing there telling me to do anything different to what I have already done. Trying to install the Certs.cab which I can copy onto the device, gives the message "Installation was unsuccesful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have sufficient system permissions."

I can see on the device that the SDK privilaged certificate is in both the Personal and Root places. When I run Security Configuration Manager it stops with the message "Security Configuration Manager has stopped working".

Any further suggestions will be welcome.

Regards
    Murray
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:03 AM

• You can enable RAPI on the device and try again. However if the device is locked by the manufacturer you would need to contact them. Please read the following thread:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowsmobiledev/thread/c7d10f4b-acd6-468d-aa3e-1a1c837519c8/

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community members.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:17 AM