none
AllocationTimedout: Desired number of dedicated nodes could not be allocated as the resize timeout was reached. RRS feed

• Question

• When I create an Azure Batch and create a pool with 1 fixed node (D4s_v3), the resizing ends with following error:

AllocationTimedout: Desired number of dedicated nodes could not be allocated as the resize timeout was reached.

There was an error encountered while performing the last resize on the pool. Please try to resizing the pool again.

Allocation mode is Batch service. Image type is Custom Image. The source Image is generalized Windows VM.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• Do you get the same error message if you try another size and series? 
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 11:55 PM
  • Yes, I still get the same error message regardless the size or series. But when I use Marketplace Image Type (Windows Server 2016 Datacenter) the allocation is successful. The problem occurs only when I use Custom Image Type.

I have been investigating this issue and I have a hypothesis what could be possibly wrong. Batch account allocation works until I delete temporary resources which the Image was created from. After deletion I can still create a new virtual machine from the Image but Batch account allocation is failing. Batch account is probably creating virtual machines from the source Disk of the Image, not from the Image itself.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:43 AM
  • So when you created the Image from the VM you kept the VM from which it was captured? Rather than deleting it? 
    Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:37 PM
  • I also just created an image then deleted the VHD that was used to create that image. After that I was able to add a new pool and use my custom image. Everything appears to be working as expected. 

Can you tell me the whole process you went through from capturing and image to deploying it so I can make sure I am reproing it 100% correctly?

Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:45 PM
  • Any update on this? 
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 12:28 AM
  • Step 0 – initial state
    Resource group: Model
    • Virtual machine
    • Network interface
    • Disk
    • Network security group
    • Public IP address
    • Virtual network
    Step 1 – Create a snapshot of the Disk to a new resource group
    • Virtual machine
    • Network interface
    • Disk
    • Network security group
    • Public IP address
    • Virtual network
    Resource Group: Temp
    • Snapshot
    Step 2 – Create a new Disk from the snapshot
    • Virtual machine
    • Network interface
    • Disk
    • Network security group
    • Public IP address
    • Virtual network
    Resource group: Temp
    • Snapshot
    • Disk
    Step 3 – Create a VM from the Disk in the Temp resource group
    Resource Group: Model
    • Virtual machine
    • Network interface
    • Disk
    • Network security group
    • Public IP address
    • Virtual network
    • Snapshot
    • Disk
    • Virtual machine
    • Network interface
    • Network security group
    • Public IP address
    • Virtual network
    Step 4 – Generalize the VM in the Temp resource group and Capture it into new resource group
    • Virtual machine
    • Network interface
    • Disk
    • Network security group
    • Public IP address
    • Virtual network
    • Snapshot
    • Disk
    • Network interface
    • Network security group
    • Public IP address
    • Virtual network
    Resource group: Image
    In this phase I can create a new Batch account from the VM image from the Image resource group.
    Step 5 – Delete the Temp resource group
    • Virtual machine
    • Network interface
    • Disk
    • Network security group
    • Public IP address
    • Virtual network
    Resource group: Image
    In this phase I cannot create a new Batch account from the VM image from the Image resource group but I can create a new VM from the Image.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:51 AM
  • Thanks for all that detail! It really helped me in reproducing the issue. 

I followed your steps exactly and can confirm I am also getting the error. I did some research and found this doc: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/batch/batch-custom-images

In this article I found information about preparing the custom image. And based on this information it appears you are partly correct in your assuming about how batch is using the image:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/batch/batch-custom-images#prepare-a-custom-image

So it seems that you do in fact need to keep the underlying resource from which the image was captured from to use in Batch resources. Hence, the reason you are seeing this error. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or Up-Vote. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 10:08 PM