none
"You may not use the Container Image if you do not have a corresponding version and edition of the Host License." RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please explain this sentence in the license?

"You may not use the Container Image if you do not have a corresponding version and edition of the Host License."

This is confusing because directly above it, it says:

The Container Image may only be used with a validly licensed copy of:

• Windows Server Standard or Windows Server Datacenter software (collectively “Server Host Software”), or
    • Microsoft Windows Operating System (version 10) software (“Client Host Software”), or
    • Windows 10 IoT Enterprise and Windows 10 IoT Core (collectively “IoT Host Software”).

The Server Host Software, Client Host Software, and IoT Host Software are collectively referred to as the “Host Software” and a license for Host Software is a "Host License".

So, for example, if I have a host that is running Microsoft Windows Operating System ("Client Host Software") or Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, can I use the Windows Server Core container image? Or does this sentence mean that I need a Host Windows Server Core license, meaning that I need to be running Windows Server Core on the host in order to use the Windows Server Core container image?

Or does the sentence just mean that we need to have a Host License that corresponds to the Host Software version/edition, meaning that we are allowed to mix and match Windows 10 / Windows IoT / Windows Server with the containers?

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:36 PM