Reporting Service 2008 R2 error: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I encountered this error on one of my client who are running SSRS 2008 R2. The reports are called through an ASP.NET web application, running on Framework .NET 2.0. The 64-bit server is running Windows 2008 R2. After the first installation, the reports are working perfectly fine. However, 2 months later the client reported that the reports is inaccessible. After loading for around 1-2 minutes, the following error message was displayed.

Server Error in '/Payroll' Application.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:
    [SocketException (0x2746): An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host]
       System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags) +73
       System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) +131

[IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.]
       System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) +294
       System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) +26
       System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead) +297

[WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.]
       Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.GetSecureMethods() +204
       Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.IsSecureMethod(String methodname) +47
       Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.LoadReport(String Report, String HistoryID) +112
       Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.GetExecutionInfo() +125
       Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.SetParameters(IEnumerable`1 parameters) +67
       HRiQWebPayroll.Com10Session_rptviewer.CallReport() +2611
       HRiQWebPayroll.Com10Session_rptviewer.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +87
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

The report server is accessible, but the Report Manager is not accessible with the following message after loading for 1-2 mins:

The underlying connection was closed. An unexpected error occured on a receive.

I had once attempted to repair the SQL Server and everything went back to normal, until 2 months later the same symptomps occured. This time, suddenly everything went back to normal without doing anything until 3 days later it stopped working again. This time, repairing didn't help so we tried to reinstall the SQL Server. We use the administrator account to install the SQL Server and set the same account for the RS execution account. It was working for 3 weeks, and they just reported that the same error hits again. Everything seems to happen out of the blue, and according to the client's IT manager, he did not do any setting to the server except for the Windows Update and anti-virus update (using ESET).

The application and database is installed in the same server. This server is also configured as a domain controller and a file server where the company's staffs can log in to access the files. We suspect that this might be the issue due some security conflict, however we don't have any technical resources to proof it.

I have tried some workaround e.g. to increase the execution time, change the TCP/IP connection settings, etc, however none is working. I'm sorry if my explanation lacks of information. This is my first time posting a technical question in MSDN forum. I can provide more information if required. Greatly appreciate any advice or feedback.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:11 AM

Answers

• Hi moccy20,

Thanks for posting your question here. Based on my research, the root cause of this issue may be Anti-virus software blocking requests. In order to resolve it, please try to turn off certain anti-virus setting of SSRS.

If the issue still exists, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Sharp

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help you and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Proposed as answer by Sharp Wang Friday, August 19, 2011 1:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Challen Fu Friday, August 19, 2011 9:34 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:54 AM

All replies

• Hi moccy20,

Thanks for posting your question here. Based on my research, the root cause of this issue may be Anti-virus software blocking requests. In order to resolve it, please try to turn off certain anti-virus setting of SSRS.

If the issue still exists, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Sharp

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help you and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Proposed as answer by Sharp Wang Friday, August 19, 2011 1:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Challen Fu Friday, August 19, 2011 9:34 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Hi,

I'm Also facing same issue,

Report Server and Report Manager are assisible from IE on Remote system

but same is not accessible from ASP.NET Application.

Please let me know, If anybody can have the solution.

Thanks,

Harshad Sanghani

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:09 AM