C# for beginners... RRS feed

• Question

• User1444011213 posted
    Hi,

I am trying to switch from VB to C#, and I really do not know where to start.
    All I learned about VB I learned by my self in last couple of decades. Now it us time to move on to c#, what course of action do you recommend?
    My current job (not related to programming) does not leave me to much spare time so going to real classes or school are out of the question (and of course I am to old for that ;) ).
    I looked at udemy, codecademy, YouTube videos... I would like to avoid spending a month looking at a screen each night and to find at the end course was waist of time.

I love programming, so I am learning mostly for my own pleasure;)

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Monday, December 16, 2019 7:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• User475983607 posted

If you know how to program then the C# programming guide should be all you need to learn the C# syntax.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/programming-guide/

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, December 16, 2019 7:20 PM
  • User1444011213 posted

Hi,

Thanks for answering, the link is very helpful!

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 5:45 AM
  • User1444011213 posted
    OK, now after a few weeks and hundreds of hours of YouTube watched, houndreds of tutorial pages read and thousands of line of code written I still can not find meaningful tutorial on how to create a web page using c# in visual studio using c#!
    I learned how to create apps, but I do not need apps! I need to create web page similar to this one I created in VB: www.kritikaz.com is it really such a big secret nobody has step by step instructions on how to create web page in Visual Studio 2019 using c#?
    Microsoft has a lot of similar instructions but it stops after 10% and that's is it, no reference what to do after, what to learn. Udemy and similar are even worst!
    I am willing to pay up to 20000€ for real meaningful course but I will not pay a single kuna before I get a proof of concept! Even for those many I will go bankrupt but at least I will do meaningful instructions for everyone else!
    Thursday, December 26, 2019 11:43 AM
  • User475983607 posted

OK, now after a few weeks and hundreds of hours of YouTube watched, houndreds of tutorial pages read and thousands of line of code written I still can not find meaningful tutorial on how to create a web page using c# in visual studio using c#!
    I learned how to create apps, but I do not need apps! I need to create web page similar to this one I created in VB: www.kritikaz.com is it really such a big secret nobody has step by step instructions on how to create web page in Visual Studio 2019 using c#?
    Microsoft has a lot of similar instructions but it stops after 10% and that's is it, no reference what to do after, what to learn. Udemy and similar are even worst!
    I am willing to pay up to 20000€ for real meaningful course but I will not pay a single kuna before I get a proof of concept! Even for those many I will go bankrupt but at least I will do meaningful instructions for everyone else!

Web applications or web pages are browser based applications written in HTML, CSS and, JavaScript.  C# orchestrates dynamic HTML and HTML forms submits according to rules that you as a programmer design and write in C#.  Essentially, you are struggling with designing a web application. 

Maybe a VB.NET to C# converter will help?

https://www.google.com/search?q=vb.net+to+c%23+converter&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS812US812&oq=VB.NET+to+C%23+converter&aqs=chrome.0.0l8.1678j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thursday, December 26, 2019 12:52 PM
  • User303363814 posted

Your first post said that you have been using VB for a long time.  The way you use Visual Studio/VSCode/other dev environment to create a web page/web site/windows app/soap service/mvc site/etc/etc/etc is the same if you use C# as your programming language. No training needed because their is no difference.  (OK, that's a lie. When you are starting a new project choose the C# template rather than the VB one. Done.)

Just take the knowledge you have on how web sites are structured, how to use the development tool of your choice, how to debug, how to deploy, etc, etc and use C# as the language.  Using C# instead of VB does not change how you open Visual Studion, how you create a project, how you edit code, how you compile, how you run, how you debug, how you deploy.  The vast, vast majority of developer activities are precisely the same whether you use VB, C# or any language.

If you can already create things in VB then you don't need a course to use C# instead.

What do you mean by "stops after 10%".  10% of what?  What could you do programming in VB that you think you need a course for in C#?

Looking at one of your previous posts - you wanted to open multiple tabs https://forums.asp.net/t/2150600.aspx Doing it in C# you just change the code behind, the rest is the same (opening Visual Studio, selecting files, using the editor, running the site, etc, stc).  Change from

Protected Sub Page_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
        Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.[GetType](), "OpenWindow",
                                              "OpenMultipleTabs()", True)
    End Sub

to

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
       Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(), "OpenWindow",
                                     "OpenMultipleTabs()", true);
    }

Less uppercase, fewer words, more brackets, more semicolons.  But definitely not rocket science.

Think of it as learning to drive a car.  The differences between learning to drive using English and learning to drive using French are quite small.  If you have been driving in French (VB) for a long time and want to drive in an English speaking country (C#) then you don't need a course on how to start the car, or how to steer, or how to brake, or how to change gear.  The differences are in the very small part which is the language (and C# and VB are far more similar than French and English)

(My personal experience changing from VB to C# was that I mistakenly bought the C# version of a book on a new topic.  It was easier to change to using C# than to take the book back to the shop.)

Wednesday, January 1, 2020 3:54 AM