Can't get correct report server instance to appear when starting SSRS from SQL Server 2019 eval & Object Explorer 18.5 RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded, installed, & tried to configure evaluation copies of 2019 SQL Server & 2017 SSRS.  When I used Report Server Configuration Manager, I put my new instance of the SQL database engine (MSSQLSERVER05) into the database name.  This connected properly.  Through multiple tries, I have created multiple report servers & temp report servers.  However, when I try to access SSRS from the Object Explorer of SSMS 18.5, 2 old DB names & "SSRS" are the only instances I see.  I have tried using SSRS, but the error says the reporting service instance cannot be found.  If I type in the name of the new database engine (MSSQLSERVER05), I get the same error.  I have had earlier trials of SQL, but tried to uninstall all of them.  I would really appreciate any help!  I need to get this working very soon.  Thanks!  Ginger
    Wednesday, July 22, 2020 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Ginger,

First of all, why not use 2019 SQL Server & 2019  SSRS ?

Secondly, have you start and configure the SSRS server before connecting it in SSMS. You need to configure the SSRS server with Reporting Server Configuration Manager, you could find it in your machine after the installation of SSRS. Follow the configuration tutorial in Doc :SQL Server Reporting Service Configuration Manager

Lastly, we could only install one SSRS instance since ssrs 2017. So , that why we could only see the default "SSRS" in the explorer.

Regards,

Lukas 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 23, 2020 1:48 AM
  • Lukas,

Thanks so much for answering.  I thought I did use the SSRS Configuration Manager and put my new database engine name (MSSQLSERVER05) in the database instance.  I have 2 different configuration manager apps (Report Server Configuration Manager - which I have tried, and SQL server 2014 Reporting Server Configuration Manager - which I have not used.   I have also tried 3 times to use the configuration manager which pops up after one installs SSRS.  I notice that I have an rsreportserver.config file that has "SSRS" in it and also the database name in some sort of code.  I think it might be pointing to an earlier database engine, but I don't know how to change that.  Should I delete this file and reinstall (perhaps with 2019 SSRS)?  Uninstall something else?  Or do something else entirely?  I truly appreciate your help!  

Regards,

Ginger

Thursday, July 23, 2020 12:17 PM
  • Hi Ginger,

You machine looks a bit messy now :)

And I would not recommend to install so many SSRS server on one machine (As I understand, you are planning to have ssrs 2014, ssrs 2017, ssrs 2019 ). Both SSRS and SQL Server are hardware resource intensive software, it would affect your machine performance.

Theoretically, one version of SSRS (SSRS 2014) would not affect the other one (SSRS 2017), they have their own rsreportserver.config.  

ReportSever Databases are hold on SQL Server Engine, they are independent from SSRS Server.

So your system is quite hard to detect what went wrong, since they are all new installed server, I guess there aren't much data on them? If so, I would suggest you to delete all the legacy version of SSRS. Just install SQL Server 2019 and SSRS 2019, then follow the configuration link I provide above, you will definitely get this work.

Regards.

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 24, 2020 2:45 AM