Does anyone know about zipcodes? RRS feed

• Question

• User730446648 posted

I have a working radius search, and where my question comes into play is:

When the user enters a city and state, my code gets the zipcode for that area.
    If there are numerous zipcodes for a city, I have it set to get the first row.
    And the radius search is determined by the zipcode.
    For the most part this works fine, but for large cities this is not very accurate.

For example Seattle, Washington starts with 98101 and goes all the way up to 98155

I'm guessing here, which is why I'm writing, if a city has ten zipcode,
    would the middle of the city be zip 5 or 6?
    Or is the zip set a different way?

I'm thinking of adding a little math to get the middle of the city.

Any thoughts?
    What have some of you done?

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:53 PM

Answers

• User-1573490007 posted

Thats why all such systems you'll see online will ask for a zipcode. Some cities, like New York City, Montreal, Toronto (the last two are canadians, so im just using random examples) are insanely huge megalopolis that rival some smaller countries. Going by simply the city and state is never going to be accurate, no matter what you do. So you should request the zipcode directly. If you want to work with the city, your system should be modified to do its search for all of the zipcodes in the city, not just one, but thats going to be fairly useless for the user.

I mean, if you tell me the closest store XYZ to me is across the city... thats like a 3 hour drive! useless :)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:51 AM
  • User378064026 posted

Check this article out: http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blmailus4.htm

In the article it says that,

"five-digit code had been assigned to every address throughout the country. The first digit designated a broad geographical area of the United States, ranging from zero for the Northeast to nine for the far West. This was followed by two digits that more closely pinpointed population concentrations and those sectional centers accessible to common transportation networks. The final two digits designated small post offices or postal zones in larger zoned cities."

So it may be hard to pin point.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:01 PM

All replies

• User730446648 posted

I can't be the first one to notice this.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:45 AM
  • User-1573490007 posted

Thats why all such systems you'll see online will ask for a zipcode. Some cities, like New York City, Montreal, Toronto (the last two are canadians, so im just using random examples) are insanely huge megalopolis that rival some smaller countries. Going by simply the city and state is never going to be accurate, no matter what you do. So you should request the zipcode directly. If you want to work with the city, your system should be modified to do its search for all of the zipcodes in the city, not just one, but thats going to be fairly useless for the user.

I mean, if you tell me the closest store XYZ to me is across the city... thats like a 3 hour drive! useless :)

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:51 AM
  • User378064026 posted

Check this article out: http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blmailus4.htm

In the article it says that,

"five-digit code had been assigned to every address throughout the country. The first digit designated a broad geographical area of the United States, ranging from zero for the Northeast to nine for the far West. This was followed by two digits that more closely pinpointed population concentrations and those sectional centers accessible to common transportation networks. The final two digits designated small post offices or postal zones in larger zoned cities."

So it may be hard to pin point.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:01 PM
  • User730446648 posted

Thank you for your replies.

I think the best thing to do is just use a label to illustrate what zipcode it is using for radius search.
    And the user can then choose a more accurate zipcode if they choose.

Thank you all.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:01 PM