none
Emulation of an USB driver installation on a local host RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Community,

I am searching for a special solution for an emulation  of an USB driver installation on a local host.
    That means I want to start an install process of an USB hardware driver (Silab) without connected physical hardware at an USB port.
    The idea is to start a background application which should do this, with a given PID, VID and SerialNo (DeviceID string). This "virtual" installed USB bridge driver should be work  like as a "default" installed USB 1.1 or 2.0 device hardware driver.

I need this for a preinstallation process of a second printer driver installation with out connected hardware. It must run on all windows 32Bit and 64bit platforms, from XP to W8.1.

My question is this principal possible to do this ?
    If it is, where do I found any documentation, tools or sample application for this ?

I am lucky for any idea.

Best regards

hubert

WinCE Forum

Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:59 AM

Answers

• Hi Dolan,

I found a workaround solution for this. At installing I took first an I/O port which is present. Later when USB hardware is present, an UB001 port is present too.

Regards

hubert

WinCE Forum

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:20 PM

All replies

• there is no in box emulated USB solution. If you installed both driver packages (with difx or pnputil) the drivers will be installed without further prompting when the real HW is present

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

thank's  for your reply. I checked the tip with pnputil, but it isn't work at Win7 as I needed. I find out, that WindowsXP has as default at AddPrinter, a local vitual USB001 port. The Win7 up to Win8.1 haven't this virtual USB001 port as default ? My question is,  how can I get same virtual USB001 port and functionality at Win7 up to Win8.1 ?

Regards

hubert

WinCE Forum

Monday, May 19, 2014 12:30 PM
  • so the problem you are trying to solve is to create a printer port that represents the USB printer before it is plugged in? If there is no printer and a job is sent to the port, what is the expected behavior?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 19, 2014 5:53 PM
  • Hi Dolan,

I found a workaround solution for this. At installing I took first an I/O port which is present. Later when USB hardware is present, an UB001 port is present too.

Regards

hubert

WinCE Forum

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:20 PM