Silverlight for Windows Embedded RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi,

I read that Microsoft release silverlight on CE 6 R3. I visited some links which gave me an idea on silverlight for embedded but I want to know about controls that are supported on silverlight for Windows Embedded.

I do not have the device to install CE and check, so can some one please tell me on which controls are supported in silverlight for embedded?

I also read that databinding is not supported in silverlight for windows embedded. What does this mean? Is silverlight for windows embedded not going to support list, datagrid, dropdown controls?

Also would like to know if there are any other forums separtely for silverlight for windows embedded?

Thanks

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:35 AM

Answers

• There are no separate forums for Windows Embedded (yet).

Databinding is a separate feature. It doesn't have to mean that those controls are not there. It's probably the databinding syntax and also the databinding codes are not supported. You can probably still create the items in those controls manually.

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:42 AM

All replies

• There are no separate forums for Windows Embedded (yet).

Databinding is a separate feature. It doesn't have to mean that those controls are not there. It's probably the databinding syntax and also the databinding codes are not supported. You can probably still create the items in those controls manually.

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:42 AM
  • I have no idea at this stage other than SL Embedded is based on VC++.

There's no support for C# / VB.Net. I haven't seen any support for Embedded from the major 3rd party vendors either. I can't see the SL Toolkit on msdn for embedded but you would expect that to show on codeplex.

Easiest thing would be to download it and have a look.

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:46 AM
  • Thanks Mark,

Is there any place where I can check what are the controls that will be available in sl for windows embedded? I have silverlight application developed and have plans to port it to CE once Microsoft has released so I am little curious.

Thanks again

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:46 AM
  • It's not going to be a simple port unless you're comfortable coding in VC++.

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Yes I realized it the moment I saw it is on c++ (native), but it is quite disappointing to see that it is on native c++.

Thanks for the replies.

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:54 AM
  • I am of a feeling that Silverlight for WE is not at all related with Silverlight for Web. Silverlight for WE is just another technology based on XAML and native code to develop some rich application on WinCE. I really don't understand why microsoft wants to call it as Silverlight. As far as I understand, Silverlight is a plugin which helps provide rich applications run on web, desktop and devices very similar to Adobe Flex.  Please reply if anybody have a different thought here.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:53 AM
  • PS: I have worked on Silverlight for web and have also tried running a sample Silverlight for WE application on Windows CE operating system.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:57 AM
  • true, it's not the same as Silverlight on the web...
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 1:40 AM
  • Are there are any 3rd Party controls for "Silverlight for Windows Embedded" ?

Thanks

Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:50 AM