none
How do I optimize a combo box in a Desktop Client app created with Lightswitch C# RRS feed

• Question

• In a Lightswitch Desktop Client (C#) application I have a List/Detail screen where I add participants to a class roster. This application has been in use for more than a year and has worked fine but now the "Participants" table has grown to more than 2500 records. The List/Detail screen for "Classes" has a sub form for "RosterAttendences". In the RosterAttendences sub form there is a combo box/pulldown to list all of the participants in the Participants table so that the data entry person can add records for individuals to the roster for that class. In the test instance on VS it works fine but with live application/data it times out. First the spinning blue circle will appear as soon the down arrow is selected and eventually (more than a minute) it will stop and be replaced with a red X. All of the other combo boxes in the application function properly and the current work around is to add the classes in the participant's profile which also is working properly. Is there a way to optimize the combo box so that it does not time out?
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 12:31 AM

Answers

• You have it configured wrong.

Here is an example with a Summary:

And with a Column Group:

There are an infinite number of options on how it can be configured.

• Edited by Ian E Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mark98765555 Friday, November 30, 2018 6:35 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:36 AM
  • Change the field from Auto Complete to Modal Window Picker when more than say 100 records. You get searching, sorting and paging but there are usability concerns as it will take more mouse clicks but it's the only way to handle large amounts of data.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 1:37 AM

All replies

• Change the field from Auto Complete to Modal Window Picker when more than say 100 records. You get searching, sorting and paging but there are usability concerns as it will take more mouse clicks but it's the only way to handle large amounts of data.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 1:37 AM
  • Ian,

I tried your solution and I think it will work great. However, I am hoping that I can get the Modal Window Picker window to display a little more information.  When the picker window opens it only displays a Button for each of the records with the name of the LS entity on that we are pulling from on the button.  In this case it is "Participant".  Doing a search on "mark" narrows it down to 10 entries.  As soon as I click on one of the buttons the Summary information from the Participant entity shows up in the "selected" window at the bottom and if I guessed correctly I can move along in the process. But if I did not guess correctly I have to start over.  Is there a way to display the Summary information in the Picker Window so I know which one to choose and take the guess work out? 

• Edited by Mark98765555 Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:12 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:05 AM
  • You have it configured wrong.

Here is an example with a Summary:

And with a Column Group:

There are an infinite number of options on how it can be configured.

• Edited by Ian E Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:41 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:36 AM
  • Got it. Thank you
    Friday, November 30, 2018 6:36 PM