Data Sources Wizard and objects, sample app RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

my main interest in evaluating the VS2010CTP is the Data Sources Wizard for WPF pages and how it can be used with object data provider source.

I have done some tests and found a few issues and I have also a number of proposals for the Data Sources Wizard for WPF.

I've put together a repro-sample and I have documented the issues in a word document along with a number of screen shots.

However, for some legal reasons I cannot post this sample app in this public forum. I can however send it to microsoft by private email directly. Can you please contact me and tell me the appropriate email address, either here or by sending a mail to info@ait-software.de

Here's the summary from the 6-pages document this I'd like to send you along with the sample project:

Summary of my requests and wishes in the order of importance:

1.    Allow to access Sources from static resources that are declared in App.xaml in <Application.Resources>.

2.    Allow customization of the properties being offered as path segments. Allow to hide properties, even when inherited from a base class.

3.    Support a path syntax like this “FirstLevel[1].SecondLevel[0].Something” to address specific instances within lists.

4.    Support value converter selection and parameterization in a convenient way, at least by displaying short descriptions about the syntax or – better – by allowing some sort of customization to build the syntax of the ConverterParameter.

5.    Offer a test function to allow the user to test a ValueConverter with some sample data.

6.    Make resizing the Wizard window easier. Make it keep the size when the user resized it.
    7. Show tooltip information about the segmens of a path including the data type (e.g. "System.Int32" or "List") and either the documentation summary or the text from a DescriptionAttribute.

Thanks
    Karlo

Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:04 PM

All replies

• Ok, someone told me to send the files via connect.microsoft.com and mark it private.

So I did and the ID # is 385918.

Karlo
    Monday, December 1, 2008 3:40 PM
  • Hi Karlo,

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate our WPF over data applicarions in the CTP. We really appriciate the detailed feedback you provided.
    I'm highly interested in the types of apps you are building.  I'll follow up with you offline.

Thanks,
    Boris 
    Boris Scholl
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:28 PM
  • Hi Boris,
    thanks. I just realized that our email server has been offline for 2 days. Should be working now gain.
    Karlo
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:54 AM