none
Strongly Type Dataset error in VS2017

Question

• I have installed VS 2017 and I an attempting to open a Strongly Typed Dataset created in VS 2015.

I am getting the error "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: instance

Call Stack:

at System.ComponentModel.TypeDescriptor.AddAttributes(Object instance,
    Attribute[] attributes)
    at
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.VSDesignSurface.CreateDesigner(IComponent
    component, Boolean rootDesigner)
    at
    System.ComponentModel.Design.DesignerHost.AddToContainerPostProcess(IComponent
    component, String name, IContainer containerToAddTo)
    at
    System.ComponentModel.Design.DesignerHost.PerformAdd(IComponent component,
    String name)
    at System.ComponentModel.Design.DesignerHost.Add(IComponent
    component, String name)
    at System.ComponentModel.Container.Add(IComponent
    component)
    at
    Microsoft.VSDesigner.DataSource.Designer.DataSourceDesignerLoader.HandleLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager
    serializationManager)
    at
    Microsoft.VSDesigner.DesignerFramework.BaseDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager
    serializationManager)
    at
    Microsoft.VSDesigner.DesignerFramework.BaseDesignerLoader.Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextBufferDataEvents.OnLoadCompleted(Int32
    fReload)

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Please share us which type project you are developing, and when this error is occurring? When it was opened or when it was compiled?

If you have VS2015, in your side, please check whether this project report error on VS2015 or not.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 8:49 AM
  • Hello,

I encounter the same problem. I have created new project with VSC 2017 and I firsly added a strongly typed Dataset. When I try to add a table adapter, I get a SQL Error (the connection string is OK). So I closed DataSet and when I try to reopen I get the error "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: instance"

I deleted the DataSet and recreate another with another name, but always the same problem.

Have you find a solution ?

Olivier.

• Edited by Mayzz Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:45 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem. This error occurs only on VSC 2017. On 2015 this work perfectly.

Olivier.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:46 PM
  • Do you also use this in a console project?

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Do you also use this in a console project?

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:51 PM