Is there a way to dual boot a Surface pro into WinRT?

Question

• Can one run WinRT on a Surface pro? I'd like to be able to fully test Store apps on WinRT but it seems one can only do so on a real non-pro Surface.

Alternatively can one run WinRT in a VM like VMware, on a desktop PC?

I'm well aware that WinRT is targeted at Arm cpu, but surely the WinRT source can be compiled for x86?

Thx

Friday, September 27, 2013 3:32 AM

Answers

• The Windows Store apps API is the same for Windows RT and for Windows 8. Valid Windows Store apps are source compatible for either. Native apps need to be compiled separately. Managed apps and JavaScript apps can run the same package on either if they target AnyCPU.

Windows Phone 8 uses the Windows Phone Runtime which is similar to the Windows Runtime (WinRT). See Maximize code reuse between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 for a discussion of how to maximize the overlap.

--Rob

Monday, September 30, 2013 10:54 PM
    Owner

All replies

• No. Windows RT runs on ARM processors. Windows 8 runs on x86 and x64.

You own source should compile for either ARM or x86, but to test the actual ARM code you need to run it on an ARM system.

--Rob

Friday, September 27, 2013 6:21 AM
    Owner
  • No. Windows RT runs on ARM processors. Windows 8 runs on x86 and x64.

You own source should compile for either ARM or x86, but to test the actual ARM code you need to run it on an ARM system.

--Rob

Hi,

Yes this is what I've read but with very little in-depth explanation. I've just done some more digging and see that my question itself is not sensible.

WinRT isn't an OS but I've been perceiving it as one, its really an api and a version of it is included in phone 8, surface and surface pro and windows 8 desktop although on a phone it seems to be named Windows Phone RT.

As you say Windows RT is the OS not WinRT - and WinRT is available for Windows and Windows RT.

So I guess there are three main OSs now: Windows, Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 and from what I'm reading Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 may eventually morph into a single OS for mobile devices.

All very confusing at first!

Is there a published API list for Windows RT and can apps on that OS make calls into these native APIs?

Thanks.

Friday, September 27, 2013 6:56 AM
  • The Windows Store apps API is the same for Windows RT and for Windows 8. Valid Windows Store apps are source compatible for either. Native apps need to be compiled separately. Managed apps and JavaScript apps can run the same package on either if they target AnyCPU.

Windows Phone 8 uses the Windows Phone Runtime which is similar to the Windows Runtime (WinRT). See Maximize code reuse between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 for a discussion of how to maximize the overlap.

--Rob

Monday, September 30, 2013 10:54 PM
    Owner