none
Global.mpt RRS feed

• Question

• We do not use server. Where can I store the Global.mpt file so everyone uses the same one.

Also, when someone sends me a project, how do I apply the Global.mpt setting to it. I do not like to reset them in the received project.

I just want everything to use the same settings.

Thanks,

Steve DeSomer

Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes it can. Still, if after the open event the user does want to use hisown settings, you cannot stop him from modifying the settings again.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by sdesomer Friday, January 25, 2013 4:53 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 3:37 PM

All replies

• Hello Steve,

This is  how a customer of mine works:

Put your Global on a file server where everybody has access, in a folder where only you have write access (the others having read only)

On the desktop of the users, put a shortcut to this file; instruct the users to always start up Project by double-clicking this shortcut.

You can also put the address of this global in Start In... in Micrsosoft Project Properties.

Mind you, a usr who really wants it will always be able to use a different global!

Greetings,

Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:06 PM
  • That is helpful. However, how can I override their settings if I open their project. They obviously have options associated with their project, how can I, in one or two steps, make their settings change to our Global file. Thanks.

Steve DeSomer

Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Hi Steve,

You will have to write a VBA procedure that fires Before_Open and install that in the common Global. The methods to be usedcan be found through the Object Browser - Browse for Options. Works, I've done it.

Greetings,

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:21 AM
  • Thanks. Will that override the settings made specifically in their project?

Steve DeSomer

Friday, January 25, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

Yes it can. Still, if after the open event the user does want to use hisown settings, you cannot stop him from modifying the settings again.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by sdesomer Friday, January 25, 2013 4:53 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Thanks for your assistance.

Steve DeSomer

Friday, January 25, 2013 4:54 PM
  • This is an old post, but hopefully it is still being monitored.  I have a handful of users with MS Project 2010 on a network, but no enterprise, sharepoint, etc. tools.  I would like them all to have access to a userform and bunch of macros.  My original idea was to have the global.mpt file trigger the opening of another .mpt file that resides in a specific, accessible network location.  That works okay, but I don't want the opened mpt file to be visible and I don't want anyone to be prompted to save changes when they exit.  I can put a line in the Global.mpt project_open code to take care of the visibility.  But, they are always prompted to save changes when exiting.  Is there a way to avoid this?

After reading this thread, I tried opening Project from a desktop shortcut to the modified Global.mpt.  That works, but I am always given a warning about the inability to open the other Global.mpt.  So, I just tried triggering Project from an mpt file named Scheduling.mpt that contains the tools.  That works okay, but I don't want the file with the tools to be visible and I don't want to be prompted about changes when I exit.

All these methods are really close to what I want, but each has a minor issue or two.  I do something analogous to this in Excel a lot where users install and Addin, but the installed Addin triggers the opening of another Addin.  The second Addin is where all the good stuff is and is occasionally updated; but the user never has to do anything to get the updated functionality.

Thanks or any insights.

Ken

Monday, February 11, 2019 6:39 PM
  • If this was my problem, I would just keep the global and the macros somewhere safe and let those users do what they want with their own local global. Then, when I review their work, just repair whatever they have done to mess up the views, tables, reports, filters etc. That would save a lot of time and trouble, and shift the focus to making sure that they get the basic planning and tracking right. 
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:06 AM
  • Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 2:59 AM
  • Or use group policy or similar to roll out the global.mpt that you to have installed on each PC? (when you say no enterprise, I'm assuming no Enterprise Project Management, i'm hoping you have AD?)

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:28 AM