"OutputPath property is not set for this project..." error message when building Staging configuration RRS feed

• Question

• User-1722117671 posted

I am using the VS 2005 Web Deployment Projects. I have three projects in my solution: ASP.NET website, a referenced class library and a deployment project. I am using the deployment project to specialize the web.config settings depending on the configuration that is being built. In addition to the Debug and Release configurations I added a new configuration, "Staging", to the solution. For both Debug and Release configurations, the solution builds successfully and produces the correct web.config file. However, when I build with the "Staging" configuration, I get the following error message:

The OutputPath property is not set for this project.  Please check to make sure that you have specified a valid Configuration/Platform combination.  Configuration='Staging'  Platform='Any CPU'

I have seen other posts here mentioning the same issue and I have tried all of the solutions I have seen, but the problem still occurs. If anyone has an idea as to the root cause of this and how I might resolve it, I would greatly appreciate it. This problem is occurring in my production application, but I was able to make a new, simple example solution that replicated it immediately.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:15 PM

Answers

• User-592590055 posted
    I had this problem and the only thing that I could get to solve it was to create a new solution and start again! I think the solution files can become "confused" sometimes. I created a new blank solution, added in the relevant projects (web app, class library, deployment project) and created my 3 configurations. It only took about 10 minutes, so if you can't solve the problem try this!
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:34 AM

All replies

• User372121194 posted

Hi,

Did your startup project refer to the class library in your case? If your startup project has reference to another project and uncheck the build option for other project then you will encounter this error. So you can try to select the build option for you referenced project.

You also can refer to http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=205738&SiteID=1.

I hope this helps.

Monday, April 14, 2008 5:36 AM
  • User-1722117671 posted

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Yes, the startup project does reference the class library. And all projects are checked in each configuration manager configuration. Still no luck. I also tried the solutions in the link you provided with no luck.

Monday, April 14, 2008 7:19 PM
  • User-592590055 posted
    I had this problem and the only thing that I could get to solve it was to create a new solution and start again! I think the solution files can become "confused" sometimes. I created a new blank solution, added in the relevant projects (web app, class library, deployment project) and created my 3 configurations. It only took about 10 minutes, so if you can't solve the problem try this!
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:34 AM