none
Direct download link to Bing Maps SDK RRS feed

• Question

• What is the direct download link to the Bing Map SDK for windows phone 8.1? A link that will directly download the vsix package I get when I click on "download" for this page: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Microsoft-BingMapsTeam.BingMapsSDKforWindows81Storeapps

I ask because I'm trying to expand the "restore" step for a repository to include downloading and extracting a private copy of the vsix package to ensure all developers are using the same version.

Warm regards,
    Chris

Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:02 PM

Answers

• There is no SDK to download for Windows Phone 8.1

The mapping is built into the phone OS and available when you build your app with no SDK needed. If you've got Visual Studio set up to build a WP 8.1 app you have everything you need. You just add the map control to your XAML.

The link you have above is for the SDK for Windows 8.1 (Desktop).

Friday, March 3, 2017 1:45 AM
  • The SDK linked above won't build or run on any flavor of Windows Phone. It's for Windows 8.1 desktop only. It's also recommended for most customers that you build a UWP targeting Windows 10 rather than targeting Windows 8.1, so this SDK is pretty much obsolete.

There's no supported direct download link - only the VSIX installer.

Friday, March 3, 2017 6:07 PM

All replies

• There is no SDK to download for Windows Phone 8.1

The mapping is built into the phone OS and available when you build your app with no SDK needed. If you've got Visual Studio set up to build a WP 8.1 app you have everything you need. You just add the map control to your XAML.

The link you have above is for the SDK for Windows 8.1 (Desktop).

Friday, March 3, 2017 1:45 AM
  • Hm. That has not been my experience. Maybe I'm mixing up what version I'm building. Maybe I need this to build some other flavor of windows phone app. So that might be my confusion. Regardless, I do need the file to build; a vanilla VS2015 install fails to build for me without installing this vsix package:

page: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Microsoft-BingMapsTeam.BingMapsSDKforWindows81Storeapps

I'm looking for a direct download link for the file I get when I click the download button on the link above. 

Warm regards,
    Chris

Friday, March 3, 2017 3:45 PM
  • The SDK linked above won't build or run on any flavor of Windows Phone. It's for Windows 8.1 desktop only. It's also recommended for most customers that you build a UWP targeting Windows 10 rather than targeting Windows 8.1, so this SDK is pretty much obsolete.

There's no supported direct download link - only the VSIX installer.

Friday, March 3, 2017 6:07 PM
  • https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/224eb93a-ebc4-46ba-9be7-90ee777ad9e1/file/113087/6/Bing.Maps.vsix
    • Marked as answer by kingces95 Friday, March 3, 2017 11:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Saturday, March 4, 2017 2:28 AM
    Friday, March 3, 2017 11:18 PM