Creating a new DB record with a details grid as a one-time action RRS feed

• Question

• User-764815193 posted

Hi People,

I've done a lot of searching in DD and have found lots of partial answers to my question but I decided to ask my specific question in order to save time in a lot of trial-and-error attempts.

I am also fully aware of how nested gridviews work in regular ASP.Net pages but I am not satisfied in how that works because the workflow is not user-friendly (in my opinion).

The workflow I'm looking for is that of a wizard : first page is for entering somet values in some fields and a second and third page is for entering some rows in grids visible on those pages.

CRITICAL POINT : I want to write the master record and the detail records to the DB when the Finish button is clicked on the wizard.

Is this post by Stephen Naughton what I need ? http://forums.asp.net/p/1301257/2542759.aspx

Thanks in advance !

Michael O'Shea

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:46 AM

All replies

• User-330204900 posted

Hi Michael, my sample which had moved on since that post does not support writing out the master and records at the finish button as it requires the Master record to be inserted first, so I would role my own if I were you :(

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:18 AM
  • User-764815193 posted

Wow, that was fast :)

OK, thanks for the information. I have already rolled my own but I find it pretty clunky (I have to track deletes, updates and insertions in order to correctly do the DB writes on the Finish event).

It all feels rather weird: I keep on thinking that my use-case is nothing exotic and is covered and that I just need to figure out what clever bit of technology can do it for me.

There are DD, code generators, objectdatasources etc and I just can't figure what the right mix of technologies could be. By the way, the reason I was looking into objectdatasource objects is that they are apparently capable of caching data, which sounded really good for what I was trying to do.

Would you maybe have an idea of what I should try next ?

Cheers !

Michael

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:48 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Sorry that's not something I've ever tried, I tend to for my users down the route of saveing the master first.

Monday, July 15, 2013 9:04 AM
  • User-764815193 posted

OK, cheers !

Michael

Monday, July 15, 2013 12:37 PM