none
Wrapping SaaS Rest APIs RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to ask what is the recommendation about wrapping a vendor's API. 

i.e. I purchase a software (SaaS) which provides a set of Restful APIs to interface with, is it desirable to wrap these into my own set of APIs to shield myself from issues in the future such as upgrades with the software, etc?  

I personally don't think I should be writting these wrappers, it would be very slow development process to have to write them for every solution we purchase. I believe the problem should be tackled on how the organization enforces governance around required upgrades and so forth.

Please let me know your thoughts, point me to other discussions, etc.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:56 PM

All replies

• firstly, you don't "purchase" SaaS you simply "subscribe" / "license" :)

coming to your main question, any worth-while API provider will ensure that old clients will continue to work so personally i don't think you need to worry too much on this.

but, if you are really concerned, you surely can develop a "thin" wrapper & in case the SaaS provider decides to do a breaking change, only your "wrapper" needs fixing living your actual client code untouched but i still feel this is NOT required because all respectable API providers will take due diligence - its up to you & only you can decide the effects of such a change to your own product.

hope this helps!

Saturday, February 21, 2015 6:10 PM