One weird behavior in the RichEditBox when pending the symbols behind the korean character. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm a brian lee who is store app user and developer.

I found a one weird thing in the RichEditBox.

Below is reproduced route.

1) Type the some korean character in the one line,

2) And append with some symbol(ex. "!" or "?" or "#" ...) until the current line is filled with that symbol

like  "가나다라!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

3) If the typed symbol is fully filled the current line and go to the next line,

the almost symbol characters move to next line automatically.

before> "가나다라!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

after >   "가나다

라!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

expected result>

"가나다라!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

This behavior is normal thing or not?

Thanks

- brian lee.

Monday, October 7, 2013 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hi brain lee,

I have a conclusion here but I'm not sure if this is the correct answer.

We know that East Asia character will take 2 Bytes, but English character will only use 1 Byte. Normally the line break symbol is "\r" which is 1 Byte, when the system insert a line breaker, system could not separate East Asia character, and the solution is to move this character to the next line.

You could find that almost all the EditBox have the same issue, and also <textarea> in HTML does the same. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but the issue might be relate with the encoding stuff.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 2:52 AM

All replies

• Hi brain lee,

I can reproduce the thing you meet, I test with Chinese characters, and the same thing happens.

I will try to find if there are some solution for this issue, and update you later.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 2:32 AM
  • Hi brain lee,

I have a conclusion here but I'm not sure if this is the correct answer.

We know that East Asia character will take 2 Bytes, but English character will only use 1 Byte. Normally the line break symbol is "\r" which is 1 Byte, when the system insert a line breaker, system could not separate East Asia character, and the solution is to move this character to the next line.

You could find that almost all the EditBox have the same issue, and also <textarea> in HTML does the same. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but the issue might be relate with the encoding stuff.

Best Regards,

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 2:52 AM