The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Windows Desktop app or Windows Store app RRS feed

• General discussion

• My app, basically, needs to do the following:

1. getting GPS coordinates
    2. calling web services (for accessing, sending info etc) 
    3. work in background with no UI for most of the time

The target device is a mobile tablet running with Windows 8.1.

I found out that for this OS I can develop both a desktop app or a Windows Store App.

Please, what do you suggest to use for my needs?

Also, because I dont know Windows Desktop App at all, Please can I get everything done using a desktop app?

Thanks

s

Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hey SeDevWP,

I suggest you develop this app for Windows 10 since the OS is getting released in one week.

Another reason why you should develop this app for windows 10: The Windows 10 SDK is full of API's that can help you easily develop this kind of app. With the location API you can get coordinates, with

System.Net.WebClient

you can call web services, post methods et cetera. For background tasks I suggest you go to this link

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/hh977056.aspx

To do this on desktop apps is very difficult, besides that: With the sdk of windows 10 you can develop for all devices running windows 10: Xbox, Phone, Surface hub, Pc, IoT.

Please forgive me If I misunderstood your question,

Best regards,

Christos K

Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:01 PM
  • I think you could do all that with a desktop app.

This working in the background thing rather points to a windows service rather than either a desktop or win store app though.

A fairly common thing to do is to have 2 apps - a small desktop app which you use to monitor/control a separate service.

Rather depends on what this thing is going to do.

But I'm a bit confused by Christos's comment that "to do this on desktop apps is very difficult".

I do more wpf  than universal windows apps. I don't really follow what'd be so hard in wpf.

Was it gps?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.device.location.geocoordinatewatcher(v=vs.100).aspx

I would have thought significant functionality in a totally hidden UWA "background" app could potentially be rather more of a problem.

If you know for sure this is to target a tablet running win 8.1 that isn't an arm tablet then it might be a bit academic that you could run it on an xbox or phone.

I find pretty much zerp clients are interested in winphone support for LoB apps.

Maybe win10 will turn that around but at the moment it's not a significant selling point.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:17 PM
  • Hey,

Well I am really not a desktop developer but I think that it is difficult. Sorry if I am wrong. I tried it once and I didn't even knew the correct method to use..

Best regards,

Chris

Thursday, July 23, 2015 10:45 PM