XSD editor missing from VS2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Why does VS2008 not have an XSD edit like VS2005 does?
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:20 PM

Answers

• This has been discussed many times before.  VS fully supports editing XSD files just like it does XML.  There is Intellisense support and everything.  What it does not support anymore is a graphical editor.  The reason why a graphical editor is not a great option is because of the memory required to support it.  Graphical editors generally rely on the XMLDOM.  The XMLDOM is a legacy component with hideous overhead.  Anything above a 4MB XML file and things get really bad.  Go to 10MB and you can easily use several hundred MB just for the one file. 

Having said that do note that the XML Schema Explorer is available for viewing a hierarchial interpretation of the schema.  It provides a few features but it is not a full-blown schema editor.  If you need to do graphical schema editing then you'll need to use an external tool.

Michael Taylor - 12/7/09
    http://p3net.mvps.org
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:51 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 9:32 PM

All replies

• This has been discussed many times before.  VS fully supports editing XSD files just like it does XML.  There is Intellisense support and everything.  What it does not support anymore is a graphical editor.  The reason why a graphical editor is not a great option is because of the memory required to support it.  Graphical editors generally rely on the XMLDOM.  The XMLDOM is a legacy component with hideous overhead.  Anything above a 4MB XML file and things get really bad.  Go to 10MB and you can easily use several hundred MB just for the one file. 

Having said that do note that the XML Schema Explorer is available for viewing a hierarchial interpretation of the schema.  It provides a few features but it is not a full-blown schema editor.  If you need to do graphical schema editing then you'll need to use an external tool.

Michael Taylor - 12/7/09
    http://p3net.mvps.org
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:51 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 9:32 PM
  • OK thanks its good to know.  I still need an XSD editor though.  Guess I will just have to have VS2005 open for that work.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:12 AM
  • I just installed VS2008 Professional on my work PC.  For some reason the XML Schema Explorer seems to be missing -- It does not appear when I edit an .xsd file.   It is on the one on my home machine [that I received at a MS event last year some time].

Is there any way to get my VS 2008 Pro to use the XML Schema Exporer to open to assist in editing my .xsd files

Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:58 PM
  • The tool window might not appear when you open an XSD file.  XSDs are used for more than just XML nowadays.  Open an XSD file and then go to the View menu.  Part way down you should see the XML Schema Editor option.  If you don't see it then go to Tools\Options -> General\Keyboard -> View.Xml and see if the command for the editor is available.

Michael Taylor - 9/23/2010
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/p3net

Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:41 PM
  • How can I get an external tool?

Monday, December 13, 2010 1:08 AM
  • Post your question in its own thread.  This thread is about the schema editor.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 2:22 PM