none
Failed to run am excel 2013 with macro on a Windows 2012 server RRS feed

• Question

• We have a process running an excel 2010 with macro on a Windows 2008 server.   This runs everyday without a problem.

We also make use of a third party product (xll) for a complex calculation.

We built a windows 2012 server and try to migrate this process, however, this third party xll won't run. It keeps crashing the excel 2013.

After several hours of my own research and working with the third party xll provider, we could not come to any solution.

My guess is a Windows 2012 set up an iron barrier to run XLL directly.   My question is, is it possible to run an excel 2013 with macro and the third party add-in on a windows 2012 server?  If that so, what setup I need to do?

Please help us on this.  

• Edited by PaulBass.tk Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:20 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Paul,

Welcome. Crashing?? are you getting any error if yes please share the details.

Also check if XLL plateform( 64/32) is compatible with your office installed.

also check the below link if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2758592

A user friendly computer first requires a friendly user

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Thank you for the quick response!  I went thru the steps.  Most steps are gear towards desktop operating system and not for the server operating system.

The excel files are working perfectly fine on the current production server.  Starting excel with a safe mode did not bring a magic either.

One thing I noticed is that I set up to show an add-in tab by clicking Add-Ins at Customize Ribbon.  But it does not show at Windows 2012 server.  Whereas my desktop with Windows 10 has no problem showing this.  

It seems something is blocking to show Add-In tab at ribbon by the Windows 2012 server.  If you know how to show the Add-in tab on a Windows 2012 server (again not for desktop operating system), please let me know.

Thanks!

• Edited by PaulBass.tk Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:59 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:50 PM
  • Hi PaulBass,

>> If you know how to show the Add-in tab on a Windows 2012 server (again not for desktop operating system),

Showing add-in tab on a windows 2012 server is the same as desktop operating system. Could you show up your developer tab? If not, I suggest you repair your Office 2013.

>> We built a windows 2012 server and try to migrate this process, however, this third party xll won't run. It keeps crashing the excel 2013

I suggest you disable your third party add-in, and launch your excel 2013 to check whether excel will crash.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:15 AM