Can the developer preview be installed on Hyper-V 2008 R2?

Question

• Hi,

I've tried to install to Hyper-V 2008 R2. The first thing I see is the developer preview text show up, and then I see a blue screen with the message "Your PC ran into a problem that it couldn't handle, and now it needs to restart" "You can search for the error online: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA (WimFsf.sys).

Can it be installed on Hyper-V?

Thanks,

Adam

Adam
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:42 AM

Answers

• Yes it can.  Your download might be corrupt.  Try downloading it again.

I had no problem installing it on my hyper v vm (Windows Server 2008 R2 Data Center edition).  I gave it 32GB of storage and 4GB of ram.

• Marked as answer by ajb1982 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:01 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:50 AM
  • On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 05:42:23 +0000, ajb1982 wrote:

Yes, and as a matter of fact, if you're an MSDN subscriber you can download
    a pre-installed version of Windows Server 8 on a VHD.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers.  -- Leonard Brandwein

• Marked as answer by ajb1982 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:42 PM

All replies

• Yes it can.  Your download might be corrupt.  Try downloading it again.

I had no problem installing it on my hyper v vm (Windows Server 2008 R2 Data Center edition).  I gave it 32GB of storage and 4GB of ram.

• Marked as answer by ajb1982 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:01 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:50 AM

Out of interest are you running SP1 for Win 2008 R2?

Adam
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:51 AM
  • On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 05:42:23 +0000, ajb1982 wrote:

Yes, and as a matter of fact, if you're an MSDN subscriber you can download
    a pre-installed version of Windows Server 8 on a VHD.

Paul Adare
    Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers.  -- Leonard Brandwein

• Marked as answer by ajb1982 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Turns out my download was just corrupted, new download worked fine.
    Adam
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Where did you find the VHD? I'm an MSDN subscriber but I can't seem to find a Win 8 VHD...
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:23 PM
  • On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:23:15 +0000, ryantrem wrote:

Where did you find the VHD? I'm an MSDN subscriber but I can't seem to find a Win 8 VHD...

On the Downloads page, expand New Downloads, click Windows Server
    Developer Preview
    , last item in the list.

Paul Adare
    Random access is the optimum of the mass storages.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:30 PM
  • For those who've tried it, is W8 fully functional under Hyper-V?  Try as I might, I can't seem to get certain mouse actions to work, like floating the cursor to the lower left of a Metro app to get a Start(?) menu, or the bar of charms (whatever it's called) to appear on the right.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:04 PM
  • For those who've tried it, is W8 fully functional under Hyper-V?  Try as I might, I can't seem to get certain mouse actions to work, like floating the cursor to the lower left of a Metro app to get a Start(?) menu, or the bar of charms (whatever it's called) to appear on the right.

Are you trying to do it through the hyper-v console, or RDPing into the VM?
    Adam
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:01 PM
  • The console, though indirectly because I'm RDP'd into the server. Are you saying it'll work if I RDP directly to the VM?  If so, why?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:20 PM
  • No I havent tried it yet, I was about to try it and see if it was different, just wanted to know what you had tried.
    Adam
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:22 PM
  • Thanks, looking forward to your findings.

Meanwhile, and thankfully I didn't see this, but it can take down your server. Quite strange for a VM.

An update that enables the Windows Developer Preview or Windows Server Developer Preview to be hosted in a Hyper-V virtual machine on Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526776

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:22 AM
  • FYI I and many others in the Windows team routinely run Windows 8 builds as VMs under Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008 R2. Works great. And the new Hyper-V support in the Win8 desktop is an equally beloved feature (though I could use a few more GBs RAM in my laptop...<g>)
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:31 AM
  • On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 02:31:13 +0000, Howard Kapustein [MSFT] wrote:

And the new Hyper-V support in the Win8 desktop is an equally beloved feature

Which a whole bunch of users won't be able to take advantage of as their
    CPUs don't support SLAT which means you can't even install the Hyper-V
    feature.

Paul Adare
    If it was easy, the hardware people would take care of it.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:37 AM
  • The console, though indirectly because I'm RDP'd into the server. Are you saying it'll work if I RDP directly to the VM?  If so, why?

I tried out RDP, and mosue movements all worked as expected with the start menu and programs list on the left etc. It didnt work at all for me in the console session. That being said I'm running on a really slow link to the server hosting the VM, so I cant rule that out as being a problem.
    Adam
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:48 AM
  • On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 02:31:13 +0000, Howard Kapustein [MSFT] wrote:

And the new Hyper-V support in the Win8 desktop is an equally beloved feature

Which a whole bunch of users won't be able to take advantage of as their
    CPUs don't support SLAT which means you can't even install the Hyper-V
    feature.

Paul Adare
    If it was easy, the hardware people would take care of it.

And probably the same users who have no interest in running it either. Those who want it will have/aquire the necessary hardware.
    Adam
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:50 AM
  • On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 02:50:19 +0000, ajb1982 wrote:

And probably the same users who have no interest in running it either. Those who want it will have/aquire the necessary hardware.

Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008 R2 supports SLAT but does not require it. I
    expected the same would be the case with Windows 8.

Paul Adare
    Remember the good old days, when CPU was singular?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:56 AM
  • I find it hard to believe that the SLAT requirement will stand, much like the hardware virtualization requirement didn't stand for VPC/XP Mode on W7. It's quite easy, thanks to Intel's seemingly arbitrary feature distribution methods in its CPUs, to have one that does support hardware virtualization but not SLAT. And it could be a pretty recent system, too. Coreinfo is a nice way to tell what you have:

http://www.howtogeek.com/73318/how-to-check-if-your-cpu-supports-second-level-address-translation-slat 

@Howard, that's not surprising, but now I understand why Q2526776 has file dates from a half year ago (it's been in use inside MS since then but not distributed externally). BTW, they forgot to actually put the download request link in that article.

@ajb1892, good, that's what I was hoping. I can't quite try it yet since creating a network-enabled connection for Hyper-V mentions a dire warning about possibly losing network connectivity and it possibly reconfiguring the host networking, so it's not something I can do remotely. It'll have to wait until I visit the server.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:01 AM
  • On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 04:01:00 +0000, rseiler wrote:

BTW, they forgot to actually put the download request link in that article.

From the KB:

If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download
    available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this
    section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to
    obtain the hotfix

Not all hot fixes are freely available for download. There are still a lot
    of them that require you to contact CSS and request it.

Paul Adare
    Shift to the left!  Shift to the right!  Pop up, push down, byte, byte,
    byte!

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:05 AM
  • @rseiler, I wasnt too concerned about the host falling over as its an old server that sits quietly in the corner. As far as SLAT goes, as far as I know its in 2008 R2 hyper-v so it must be optional. Why the change to making it required?

Adam
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:06 AM
  • @Paul, thanks I missed that. I didn't think they bothered with that system any longer.

I guess now the question is whether it's a good idea to be proactive with this one. I wonder how prevalent it is or what the specific trigger cases would be ("one-shot synthetic timer" is not terribly helpful)? It didn't BSOD for me yet, but I absolutely don't want it to in the future, either. I know the articles always say "only if you experience the issue," but sometimes I ignore that.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:15 AM
  • for others benefit I running win8 from vhd file using native boot. no problems so far.

Ahmed is an independent consultant in Ottawa, Canada specialized in .NET, Biztalk, WCF, WPF, TFS and other Microsoft technologies.

Blog: http://lajak.wordpress.com

Twitter: ahmedalasaad

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:30 AM
  • Before I go through too many other troubleshooting steps, is sound supposed to be working when connecting via RDP and the server's RD Session Host audio is already enabled (along with the RDC settings on W7)?  It's working for other RDP's to the server, so it must be set right. Audio looks fine in W8.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:50 AM