none
The way Visual Studio handles backward/forward navigation

Question

• Here is an example of backward/forward navigation in Visual Studio:
    I'm in file1, I go to symbol which is in file2, then go to other symbol which is in file3.
    At this point navigation works perfect - both forward and backward.
    Then let's say I'm in file3 and I close it - it gets me to file2.

Here starts the dramatic difference between VS2010 and VS2013:
    If I press Navigate backward in VS2010 it positions me to file1 - i.e. it is intelligent enough to understand that I closed file3 myself and it excludes it from navigation chain.
    VS2013 reopens file3 instead of getting me to file1.
    This is inconvenient and confusing.

Is there any way to control it?

P.S.: this is a copy of question form stackoverflow: 

www.stackoverflow.com/questions/35661716/the-way-visual-studio-handles-backward-forward-navigation

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 2:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi lgorT75,

According to your description, I get the same result in my side. And I also test in Visual Studio 2015, it also reopen the file3 when it has been closed. It should be the design from Visual Studio 2013.

Then I check the settings in Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Tabs and Windows and try the Customize in right-click tool bar menu, I don't find such settings to control the Navigate backward and Navigate forward.

I suggest you submit your idea to Visual Studio User Voice and then share the link here. It can let other communities who has the same requirement to vote and add comments for your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:09 AM
  • Hi lgorT75,

Do you have submit your requirement to Visual Studio User Voice? If yes, please share your feedback link here which can let others vote and add comment to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 9:03 AM
  • Link to User Voice:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/12901944-be-able-to-control-the-way-visual-studio-2013-and

Thursday, March 24, 2016 9:10 PM
  • Hi lgorT75,

Thanks for your response. I have marked your feedback reply as answer, which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem to vote and add comments.

If any problem about Visual Studio IDE in future, please feel free to come back to our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, March 25, 2016 1:50 AM