none
'General access denied error' (0x80070005), when export VM from server2008 host to Server 2008 host RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have VM, its name VMserver2008_Two, on host VMS2008_Test1. I have tried to migrate VMserver2008_two to another host, VMS2008_Test2. But it failed with this message: 'Export failed for virtual machine 'VMServer2008_Two' with error 'General access denied error' (0x80070005).

Both host is Server 2008 with Hyper-V RC1 and same domain. And I did this as domain administrator.

Here are steps I did:

- Turn off VMServer2008_Two

- Right click on VMServer2008_Two and choose Export

- At Export Path, I browse to another host: \\VMS2008_Test2\c$

- Then hit Export tab

- After that I got that message.

Please help me and let me know what I did wrong.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:22 PM

All replies

• Anyone please help me this issue. Thanks

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 7:31 PM
  • I was getting the same error even when the account I was logged in as had write access to the share I was exporting to.

What fixed it for me was giving the share write permissions for "Everyone".   After the export completed, I quickly removed that permission.

Rob

Saturday, August 30, 2008 12:14 AM
  •  RobN - MSFT wrote:

I was getting the same error even when the account I was logged in as had write access to the share I was exporting to.

What fixed it for me was giving the share write permissions for "Everyone".   After the export completed, I quickly removed that permission.

Rob

I think that will work only in a case when you're running on a domain. If you're 2 boxes are not in a domain otherwise I think you'd need to run the Hyper-V service under an account name that is on both boxes (and not the default "local system account".

Also, another option if on a domain as well, might be to give the COMPUTER full control (permissions screen selecting "Object Types" button and check "computer").

Monday, September 8, 2008 4:05 AM
  • Hey folks, please be aware that As of 8/22/2008 this forum is de-comissioned, and there's pretty much nobody minding this particular MSDN forum..  all the virtualization support is over in the technet form

http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads/

(note the pinned message at the top of the forum that they are de-commissioning these on the 22nd  )

Further discussion of this issue should be moved to the technet virtulization forum.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:01 PM