changing password of ##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin## RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

- Can I change the password of ##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin## if yes then what is the best way
    - what is pros and cons for changing password 
    - If I don't want to change password then what is the current password of this user

Friday, September 12, 2014 5:56 AM

Answers

• Server principals with names enclosed by double hash marks (##) are for internal system use only. They are created from certificates when SQL Server is installed.

Please open this link and visit section Certificate-based SQL Server Logins.

Saeid Hasani [sqldevelop]

Friday, September 12, 2014 6:21 AM
  • As Saeid mentioned before. These are certificated-based (no password, these principals cannot connect to SQL Server), internal to SQL Server, and as the article ImranKazi posted suggest, you don’t need to worry about these principals or the expiration date for these certificates.

-Raul Garcia

SQL Server Security

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:44 PM

All replies

• Server principals with names enclosed by double hash marks (##) are for internal system use only. They are created from certificates when SQL Server is installed.

Please open this link and visit section Certificate-based SQL Server Logins.

Saeid Hasani [sqldevelop]

Friday, September 12, 2014 6:21 AM
  • While searching on net I got this link  I thought according to this link i should not change or modify this principal
    seeking suggestion 

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2388/internal-sql-server-certificates-have-expired-is-this-an-issue/

• Edited by ImranKazi Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:44 AM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:42 AM
  • As Saeid mentioned before. These are certificated-based (no password, these principals cannot connect to SQL Server), internal to SQL Server, and as the article ImranKazi posted suggest, you don’t need to worry about these principals or the expiration date for these certificates.

-Raul Garcia

SQL Server Security

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:44 PM

-Raul Garcia

SQL Server Security

but what if company forces to change the password of this user 
    Friday, September 19, 2014 10:35 AM
  • You can try reinstall instance. 

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 11:58 AM
  • You can try reinstall instance. 

why to reinstall I just want to change password 
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:55 AM