What are the Segoe UI Symbol characters for indicating expanded and collapsed(horizontal )?

Question

• Hi, I want to draw symbols like ">>"  and "<<" on a button to indicate it is a toggle button which can toggle a Panel on its left or right side when clicked. I've searched all the characters of Segoe UI Symbol in Word, and I find the closest characters are (E00D)  and (E08D), but they're all in vertical direction.

My question is: where are the horizontal versions of the two symbols?  If there are no such symbols in  Segoe UI Symbol, then where can I find them? 

Many thanks in advance!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In Segoe UI Symbol, ">>" is (00BB) and "<<" is (00AB). You can define the button control symbol like below:

<StackPanel Orientation="Vertical" Margin="0,14,0,5" Grid.Column="1">
                <Button Style="{StaticResource AppBarButtonStyle}"       FontFamily="Segoe UI Symbol" FontSize="18.667"        Padding="8,8,0,0" Margin="0,0,0,10"       Content="&#x00BB;"/>

</StackPanel>

Please refer to the link to get more information:

http://csharperimage.jeremylikness.com/2012/03/windows-8-icons-segoe-ui-symbol.html

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In Segoe UI Symbol, ">>" is (00BB) and "<<" is (00AB). You can define the button control symbol like below:

<StackPanel Orientation="Vertical" Margin="0,14,0,5" Grid.Column="1">
                <Button Style="{StaticResource AppBarButtonStyle}"       FontFamily="Segoe UI Symbol" FontSize="18.667"        Padding="8,8,0,0" Margin="0,0,0,10"       Content="&#x00BB;"/>

</StackPanel>

Please refer to the link to get more information:

http://csharperimage.jeremylikness.com/2012/03/windows-8-icons-segoe-ui-symbol.html

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:21 AM
  • Oh, you're really a lifesaver! I feel so regretful not to see your answer earlier.I just spent a whole morning to figure out how to draw a horizontal Chevron graph. I've tried polyline, but without success, because I can not make the end of line to the right shape. Finally I ended like this:

<!--draw ">>" graph-->
        <StackPanel Orientation="Horizontal">
            <TextBlock Text="&#xE26B;"
                       FontFamily="Segoe UI Symbol"
                       Margin="0" />
            <TextBlock Text="&#xE26B;"
                       FontFamily="Segoe UI Symbol"
                       Margin="-11,0" />
        </StackPanel>

The above code uses two "" graph to achieve the effect. It works but obviously it is very ugly. (It's worthy to note that, when I set the FontWeight to Light in your code, the graph is exactly the same with my "ugly" one! It's perfect!)

Many thanks!

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:26 AM