A newbie need help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm doing an accounting software for a company - with servers room and many clients - , and this would be my first C# WinApplication, So I finished the design having in my hands the database schema and many classes with their respective methods and fields , I don't know but I assume that my scenario will be like the following:-
    1. I have to Implement those classes and make them as componenets (Dlls I guess).
    2. Put them somewhere on the server (We have 2 servers one for the database and the other is for the network and the domain).
    3. develop clients software.

My questions:
    1. Am I offpoint ? I.e. "we use the classes and the database schema in a different way than you have decided".
    2. Is this is what we call it a three-tier model ?
    3. Is there is any documents may help me move from design into coding ? , I have searched the Internet but nothing really helpful.

Thanks in Advance

ff
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 12:29 PM

Answers

• Yes you can make it as a DLL and call it.
    Ganesh Ranganathan
    [Please mark the post as answer if you find it helpful]
    • Marked as answer by Mr.me Monday, May 25, 2009 12:24 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Mr.Me,

We will be using a database server for storing information. Like in your case details related to accounts.
    Since your application is windows form based, i don't know how are you planning to make it a server-client based.

As a general example, you can have a webapplication. Which can be deployed in a server and all the clients(users) can use the page to do the activities. In this case its a server-client application.

Three-tier applications

You will be having three layers

1. Presentation.
    2. Business.
    3. Data Access.

Data Access layer will talk to database.
    Business layer will do all the processing and communicate to both presentation and data access.
    Presentation will get data from business layer and display it accordingly.

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies
    Remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a correct reply to your question
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Thanks for the reply A.M.A.L , I planned to develop the bussines logic as dlls and to put them in one server (including connect to database Dll) as the bussines layer and the database in the the database server(data layer) , then I will develop the client applications to be installed in the front end (presentation layer) and I just don't know if all this is the right way ?

"Since your application is windows form based, i don't know how are you planning to make it a server-client based."
    what is the problem with form-based applications ? 

thanks again

ff
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:40 AM
  • You need to expose the business layer component as webservice.

An from client forms you need to access it.

There is no such problem with windows form application. What am trying to point is, windows forms application alone cant act as client server.

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies
    Remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a correct reply to your question
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:54 AM
  • Well this is will be probably the last question, Instead of webservices for the bussiness layer Can I make it as DLLs ? and then clients forms access them ? , or this will be considered as a client server model ?

Thanks

ff
    Monday, May 25, 2009 8:16 AM
  • Yes you can make it as a DLL and call it.
    Ganesh Ranganathan
    [Please mark the post as answer if you find it helpful]
    • Marked as answer by Mr.me Monday, May 25, 2009 12:24 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 8:37 AM