Requirement for Team Foundation Server. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, in my company we use an open source software called NetOffice, in this program people logs in to report the hours they work to the activities their bosses assigns to them.

I think that its a good thing to put this on TFS, when you make cronogram, and you assign tasks the users should be able to put how many hours or days did it take to complete an activity.

So there must be some reports that shows the manager how many time it took to accomplish certain phase of a development, and in that way they can know how much did it cost and how much must the software cost by phase.

There must be more reports but I dont know them yet.

Please Rob tell me if this is possible to do?

http://netoffice.sourceforge.net/

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 1:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Luis,

There are fields on the Work Item type "Task" called "Remaining Work" and "Completed Work".  You can find these on the Details tab of the "Task" type.

Your team members can then fill in the amount of work they have completed and the amount of work they have remaining for that task.

If you are using MS Project to manage your project, then the Remaining Work and Completed Work fields will be automatically round-tripped into your project plan and you will be able to report on them.

If you're not using MS Project, but like to use MS Excel, you can pull those fields into Excel and build a chart showing how the work is progressing.

If you don't like the Remaning Work and Completed Work field -- for instance, if you need more granularity -- you can customize the existing work item types or even create a new work item type.  Let me know if you'd like some pointers on how to do that.

Thanks,
    -Siddharth
    Monday, September 26, 2005 2:48 AM

All replies

• I want to know what thinks Team System  MSFT TEAM about this.
    I know that it may not be included in these release, but I think that its a good idea.

I also sould like to hear other people not from microsoft about this.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2005 10:22 PM
  • Hi Luis,

There are fields on the Work Item type "Task" called "Remaining Work" and "Completed Work".  You can find these on the Details tab of the "Task" type.

Your team members can then fill in the amount of work they have completed and the amount of work they have remaining for that task.

If you are using MS Project to manage your project, then the Remaining Work and Completed Work fields will be automatically round-tripped into your project plan and you will be able to report on them.

If you're not using MS Project, but like to use MS Excel, you can pull those fields into Excel and build a chart showing how the work is progressing.

If you don't like the Remaning Work and Completed Work field -- for instance, if you need more granularity -- you can customize the existing work item types or even create a new work item type.  Let me know if you'd like some pointers on how to do that.

Thanks,
    -Siddharth
    Monday, September 26, 2005 2:48 AM