TextBox input in Chinese Traditional RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Chinese Simplified and Traditional language packs in Windows 10.  I run the Silverlight application and can input Chinese Simplified characters by choosing that from the list of language keyboards available.  But when I clear all the text in the TextBox and then switch to Traditional and type, the characters all seem to go in the first character position and when I leave the TextBox, it seems to clear out the values.  Nothing ends up in the TextBox.

I am running this app NOT in Windowless mode cause I already ran into that problem.

Anyone have ideas?

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 7:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Mark Tiede,

I also tested leaving the cursor from TextBox and the content also displayed correctly.

>> Do you have an actual Chinese keyboard or are you just switch "virtual keyboards" by switching the language?  I'm doing the latter. Are you using Chinese Traditional Taiwan?  Microsoft Bopomofo?

I'm using an actual Chinese keyboard and both tested with Chinese Traditional Taiwan, Hongkong and Macao, the same result. And I use the Microsoft Quick and Microsoft Microsoft Bopomofo, everything is ok.

>> I'm guessing the little "dots" under the text are significant too.  And if I click off the TextBox, the Chinese text disappears altogether.

According to your screenshot, you are using Chinese Traditional Taiwan and use the Microsoft Bopompfo, is it right? It shows correctly. Chinese characters are different with other language, it is more complex.

In Chinese Traditional Taiwan input method, every Chinese character need to type one more key on keyboard to make a complete Chinese character.

For example, if I want to type a Chinese character of "施", I need to type "A" key and "G" key on keyboard, then press the Space key, this character will be typed into TextBox. The "dots" under the text means the character that you are typing is not complete, you need to type another part to construct this character. So when you live the cursor from TextBox before you complete this character, it will disappear from TextBox.

>> I changed to Changjie and I can type some characters and then remain in the field when I click away, but after 5 characters, it doesn't show them anymore.  I can then click away and return to the field and type 5 more characters.

In Chinese, every character constructed by different part. Some character constructed with one part (one English key on keyboard) and some needed several parts (several English keys on keyboard).

So I think it is not a bug in your application. Please change your type way which can solve this issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Mark Tiede Friday, April 29, 2016 11:57 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2016 4:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark Tiede,

I create sample Silverlight application just with one TextBox and type some Chinese Simplified characters which is shown correctly. Then I clear all content in TextBox and change my language to Chinese Traditional, all characters are all shown correctly as below screenshot shows.

My Silverlight version is 5.1.41212.0, Windows version is Windows 10 version 1511 (OS Build 10586.218) and Visual Studio version is VS2015 Enterprise Update 2.

If any difference, please feel free to let me know, I will build a environment which is the same with yours to test this issue. If possible, please share a sample project which has this problem to help us reproduce this issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:10 AM
  • Your screen shot shows that the cursor is still in the TextBox. Did you try leaving the TextBox as I described in my original post?

Do you have an actual Chinese keyboard or are you just switch "virtual keyboards" by switching the language?  I'm doing the latter.

Are you using Chinese Traditional Taiwan?  Microsoft Bopomofo?

Here is the way mine looks after typing 3 or 4 characters.  I'm guessing the little "dots" under the text are significant too.  And if I click off the TextBox, the Chinese text disappears altogether.

If I use Traditional Array keyboard, when I type it shows English and not Chinese at all.  Not sure if this change took effect correctly or not.

I changed to Changjie and I can type some characters and then remain in the field when I click away, but after 5 characters, it doesn't show them anymore.  I can then click away and return to the field and type 5 more characters.

Also, in case it makes a difference, I have 14 language packs installed (counting English).

Unlike some of the non Chinese languages, it looks like I might have to restart the app AFTER changing the language.  With other languages I could switch one after the other without leaving the app.

It looks like the Traditional Array keyboard works if I set the keyboard first and then launch the app.

Here is my xaml I'm now testing with:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' ?>
    <UserControl x:Class="SilverlightApplication138.MainPage"
        xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation" 
        xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml" 
        xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/expression/blend/2008"
        xmlns:mc="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/markup-compatibility/2006"
        mc:Ignorable="d"
        d:DesignHeight="300" d:DesignWidth="400">

<Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot" Background="White" Margin="100">
          <TextBox  HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Top"/>

</Grid>
    </UserControl>

• Edited by Mark Tiede Thursday, April 28, 2016 12:39 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 12:06 PM
  • Hi Mark Tiede,

I also tested leaving the cursor from TextBox and the content also displayed correctly.

>> Do you have an actual Chinese keyboard or are you just switch "virtual keyboards" by switching the language?  I'm doing the latter. Are you using Chinese Traditional Taiwan?  Microsoft Bopomofo?

I'm using an actual Chinese keyboard and both tested with Chinese Traditional Taiwan, Hongkong and Macao, the same result. And I use the Microsoft Quick and Microsoft Microsoft Bopomofo, everything is ok.

>> I'm guessing the little "dots" under the text are significant too.  And if I click off the TextBox, the Chinese text disappears altogether.

According to your screenshot, you are using Chinese Traditional Taiwan and use the Microsoft Bopompfo, is it right? It shows correctly. Chinese characters are different with other language, it is more complex.

In Chinese Traditional Taiwan input method, every Chinese character need to type one more key on keyboard to make a complete Chinese character.

For example, if I want to type a Chinese character of "施", I need to type "A" key and "G" key on keyboard, then press the Space key, this character will be typed into TextBox. The "dots" under the text means the character that you are typing is not complete, you need to type another part to construct this character. So when you live the cursor from TextBox before you complete this character, it will disappear from TextBox.

>> I changed to Changjie and I can type some characters and then remain in the field when I click away, but after 5 characters, it doesn't show them anymore.  I can then click away and return to the field and type 5 more characters.

In Chinese, every character constructed by different part. Some character constructed with one part (one English key on keyboard) and some needed several parts (several English keys on keyboard).

So I think it is not a bug in your application. Please change your type way which can solve this issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by Mark Tiede Friday, April 29, 2016 11:57 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2016 4:43 AM
  • In Chinese, every character constructed by different part. Some character constructed with one part (one English key on keyboard) and some needed several parts (several English keys on keyboard).

I suppose that's sort of obvious when I think about it.

Definitely unexpected from a western perspective and worth stressing.

Good work.

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: Layout Lab; All my Technet Articles

Friday, April 29, 2016 11:01 AM