Bluetooth pair without the user have to enter code

Question

• Hi,  I working on Bluetooth connection for connecting many different Bluetooth device.  Most of this device are Bluetooth to serial and now it work for communication.  My problem now is that in Windows Store apps you must first paired device using the GUI of windows.  The other problem is that the user need to know the password and enter this password manually without error to pair.  For my apps the best way is when the user want to get some specific information, the app know which Bluetooth devices must be connected and the apps make all the connection (paired if is not already paired with Security information and connect) and after get the answer or send some information.  As I understand Windows store apps cannot pair Bluetooth device, I need to guide my user on the GUI of Windows to perform the pairing. I can deal with it especially if you have a way to call the Windows Bluetooth connection GUI directly from my apps.  But, in this case I don't want that my user have to know and enter the security code.  Do you have a way to resolve this problem?  It is possible to set a Bluetooth profils on Windows GUI then the user just have to select-it and click pair?   And How to connect to a hidden Bluetooth device (it must be pair or not)?

Thank you

Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:29 PM

Answers

• Hi SebProg,

As I know if you do not pair the Bluetooth device, I don't think you can communicate between two devices. Bluetooth pair is a kind of trust certification, lets say if you do not pair your device, is that mean you allow everyone connect to your store app without any warning or message notification?

And in Windows Store App I believe once you pair the device with Windows GUI, you can always build the connection without pair again, I don't think we can select a Bluetooth profiles from Windows Store App, it runs in a sandbox mode and hardly do some system level operation.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, June 23, 2014 9:46 AM
  • It's a pain, but I think you just have to include "how t pair" information  in your app. What I did with my TI SensorTag app was to see if there were paired devices; if so, I just used them (it works with multiple sensor tags).  But if there aren't, I presented some pairing information to guide the user.

Irritatingly, the pairing instructions are different for Windows and Windows Phone; they have different steps.  So for my Autobike Voyage app (which is for both windows and windows phone), I had to provide two different sets of instructions.

Monday, June 23, 2014 6:33 PM
  • Ok thank you for your answer I will work with this
    • Marked as answer by SebProg Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:45 PM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi SebProg,

As I know if you do not pair the Bluetooth device, I don't think you can communicate between two devices. Bluetooth pair is a kind of trust certification, lets say if you do not pair your device, is that mean you allow everyone connect to your store app without any warning or message notification?

And in Windows Store App I believe once you pair the device with Windows GUI, you can always build the connection without pair again, I don't think we can select a Bluetooth profiles from Windows Store App, it runs in a sandbox mode and hardly do some system level operation.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, June 23, 2014 9:46 AM
  • It's a pain, but I think you just have to include "how t pair" information  in your app. What I did with my TI SensorTag app was to see if there were paired devices; if so, I just used them (it works with multiple sensor tags).  But if there aren't, I presented some pairing information to guide the user.

Irritatingly, the pairing instructions are different for Windows and Windows Phone; they have different steps.  So for my Autobike Voyage app (which is for both windows and windows phone), I had to provide two different sets of instructions.

Monday, June 23, 2014 6:33 PM
  • OK, thank you. So the best way is to guide user to pair on GUI.  I will try other way to protect info that is will be transmit by the bluetooh device.
    Thursday, July 03, 2014 1:27 PM
  • But I have another problem.  How you can pair a invisible device ???
    Thursday, July 03, 2014 6:42 PM
  • Hi SebProg,

Sorry for the late response, but as I know(not totally sure), when trying to pair a invisible device, there are two options, the first one is the pair request start from the invisible device, the second one is the device become visible for like one minute to pair.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:52 AM
  • Ok thank you for your answer I will work with this
    • Marked as answer by SebProg Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:45 PM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:45 PM