how to get query for a mysql data. RRS feed

• Question

• i have been given a excel data , and my manager is saying that it is in mysql. is there a way i can get query for that ?? please help
    msmustard
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:06 PM

Answers

• There are a few options. One option is to try to create a linked server to MySQL database and query MySQL database using familiar SQL Server syntax through linked server.

The other option is to try installing MySQL GUI similar to SSMS

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html (I don't see Windows installers on this page, but I didn't search hard enough).

If you install the GUI for MySQL database you should be able to query this database from MySQL.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Friday, November 18, 2011 6:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kalman Toth Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:05 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you please elaborate on your question?

Thanks
    Md. Marufuzzaman
    Don't forget to click [Vote] / [Good Answer] on the post(s) that helped you.
    I will not say I have failed 1000 times; I will say that I have discovered 1000 ways that can cause failure – Thomas Edison.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Ifi run that query it gives me this error.

The OLE DB provider "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0" has not been registered.

Yeah i will elaborate, i have been given an excel sheet which has data about inventory.there are columns like serverkey,servername,serverfunction,app_name  etc.

My boss told me he needs to know the number of servers on each application?

he told me its on mysql database, how to use mysql is my first question. i have sqlserver 2008 installed on my laptop.

how can i find out if there is any query written for this data. i tried checking on the excel sheet where we get this option of edit query but its not there.

Pleasehelp

Thanks

msmustard
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:33 PM
  • There are a few options. One option is to try to create a linked server to MySQL database and query MySQL database using familiar SQL Server syntax through linked server.

The other option is to try installing MySQL GUI similar to SSMS

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html (I don't see Windows installers on this page, but I didn't search hard enough).

If you install the GUI for MySQL database you should be able to query this database from MySQL.

My blog
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Friday, November 18, 2011 6:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kalman Toth Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:05 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Thanks,but can you please explain me how to create a linked server to mysql database. i am new at this job , please help.

Do i need to ask any access or anything from my boss ??

msmustard
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:46 PM
  • You do need to ask for the database name, user and password in order to access MySQL data.

For the creating linked server, follow the steps here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190479.aspx

Or you can check this link

http://www.ideaexcursion.com/2009/02/25/howto-setup-sql-server-linked-server-to-mysql/

which seems to explain the exact process needed for connection to MySQL.

My blog
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Thanks a lot , i asked him the info.
    msmustard
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:23 PM
  • i am trying to give connection to mysql. i am getting an error as failed connection.i installed odbc3.5 driver and when i add it in systemDSN it gives me failed test. In the tab which requires tcp/ip server do i need to give the name of the server or my ip address. please help
    msmustard
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:56 PM
  • and when i told the person who gave me details he sent me this ,

please do

nslookup prd-ivt-lmp01.uson.usoncology.int

what does this mean ??? and how to do it

msmustard
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:58 PM
  • For your last question - go to Start/in the run box type cmd, then paste that query there and see results.

My blog
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:01 PM
  • i followed the link and successfully established ODBC connection but after that to Configure Linked Server Provider i am having trouble. As in the link it shows the linked server comes in the list Server Object but its not happening when i tried in my management studio. Can someone help please

http://www.ideaexcursion.com/2009/02/25/howto-setup-sql-server-linked-server-to-mysql/

msmustard
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Have you tried re-starting SSMS ? May be it just was not refreshed?

My blog
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:35 PM
  • I just restarted my laptop, but still i am not getting providers in linked server under server objects. and when i right click on the linked server and click on new linked server it give me "a requested operation could not be completed. you must be a member of sysadmin role to perform this operation."

Whom should i contact? if connection was success why am i getting this error?

What should i do ??? please help

msmustard
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:55 PM
  • I see. Do you have a DBA at your work place? If yes, I suggest to come to him/her and ask help creating the linked server.

My blog
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Thanks alot for your help, i did contact him. he is asking me to forward the driver that i installed , how to do that ???
    msmustard
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Thanks Naomi,

DBA is telling me that i am getting an error as i dont have sysadmin rights, He is suggesting me to install the developer edition on my laptop to develop reports,due to company policies he cannot add me to sysadmin group.

He is telling me is should be able to query against mysql , what does this mean.

by installing developer's edition will i be able to access the linked server ???

msmustard
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Yes, since you know all the credentials to MySQL, you should be able to add linked server using your local SQL Server. In other words, I like his idea - you will be having your own SQL Server for development and tests of the queries and creating reports.

My blog
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Can you  send me a link for installing sql server developer  edition?  I have sql  server 2008 R2 edition  insstalled on my laptop,My DBA thinksi should instal developer edition along  with my cuurent version.
    msmustard
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:36 PM
  • If you already have SQL Server 2008 R2 installed locally, then I don't understand what are your problems. Are you able to establish connection to MySQL from your local SQL Server? If you have it installed locally, then you should be able to give yourself all permissions you need.

Unless you have Express version and it has some limitations in regards to linked servers (I haven't verified if this is true).

In any case, the developer edition is not free, although cheap enough, and if you want to get it, you will need to get it from the Microsoft Store.

My blog

• Edited by Naomi N Friday, November 18, 2011 3:42 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:40 PM