Cloning RRS feed

• Question

• Can you clone an object in ED like you can using Photoshop?
    Darrell
    Friday, February 4, 2011 11:33 PM

Answers

• you could try  some of the free programs if you don t need photoshop

some of them here there are others

they all have good features depending what you want to achieve

paint net

photobie

gimp

• Marked as answer by SimpleWebs13 Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:29 PM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:23 PM

All replies

• cloning in design will clone a path and fill  and everything you change in the master to that path will also effect the clones but you can give a different color and stroke to the clone

you can also convert a clone to a path so you can change it

in the help files see

cloning paths

cloning like in photoshop using a clone tool to my knowledge isn t possible even not in the new preview

• Proposed as answer by Fred C_ Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:09 PM
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Thank you.  
    Darrell
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 4:58 PM
  • With the Selection Tool, hold down the Alt key and drag a selected object to clone it just like in Photoshop and Illustrator.
    Jennifer Smith
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:32 AM
  • Sorry Jennifer, Alt + drag selected produces a duplicate copy, not a 'clone'.  To 'clone', select the object, Edit (Menu)>Clone; there's no keyboard shortcut.

~Fred
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:10 PM
  • I feel like a complete idiot. I didn't mean cloning.

What I was wanting to know is this: in photoshop there is a tool you have that allows you to, for example, take a picture of a person smiling and one of their teeth is discolored you can copy the color of a brighter tooth and place it on the darker tooth so they will match. That is what I was wanting to know.

Darrell
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Hi Darrell,

MS Expression Design is primarily a vector program with limited raster functions.  Photoshop is a raster (or bitmap) based program.  What you described is really a job for a raster program.

Check here for the comparison of the two:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutgraphics/a/bitmapvector.htm

Some correction/retouching can be done with Expression, depending on the picture.  It basically involves copying and creating a bitmap(raster) of the area concerned and attempting to lighten or clean it up with the filters.  Again, all dependent on the original image.  Do you have Photoshop?

Regards,

In this context-Bitmap and Raster are the same thing,

~Fred 
    • Edited by Fred C_ Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:19 PM added
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:17 PM
  • I used to have a copy of photoshop. I bought it online from a discount seller, ( never a good idea ), and it worked fine. I registered it and used it. When I got a new laptop and installed it the product key wouldn't work. I usually buy all my software from the licensed business so I have the product key and the support. Live and learn.

I don''t use photoshop enough to justify buying it. That feature I asked about was the only thing I used it for. What I did on this last client's project was to create slices and then blend then in to the original. It worked great... took a little more time but, no one could tell.

Darrell
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:50 PM
  • you could try  some of the free programs if you don t need photoshop

some of them here there are others

they all have good features depending what you want to achieve

paint net

photobie

gimp

• Marked as answer by SimpleWebs13 Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:29 PM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Thank you. I will give them a look.
    Darrell