none
Can i move all the list workflows to be a single workflow defined inside the Content Type RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on sharepoint enterprise server 2013, and i want to improve my workflow management indie my sub-sites. my general case is as follow:-

1. I have a Team Site collection. and a site template stored inside the solution gallery.

2. inside the site template there are; 4 tracking lists.

3. for each list there is a list workflow (based on workflow 2010) created using SharePoint designer 2013.

4. now i have created around 20 sub-site based on the site template.

5. so for each workflow there are 21 instance. (one at each sub-site list + the site template).

6. now yesterday our customer asked us to update one of the list workflows.

7. so i went to the 20 sub-sites + the template, and i update the workflow using sharepoint designer 2013.

so this raised an issue in my mind that the way i am managing my workflow is wrong, mainly from maintainability point of view.

now all the sub-site lists share 4 site content types. so i was thinking if i can remove all the list workflows from my sub-sites, and define them inside the 4 site content types. so in this case any new sub-site will be using the content type workflow. also if i want to update the workflow i will be doing so from the CT level and have the effect on all the underlying lists.

but i have read some articles which mentioned that associating a workflow with a content type can not be done inside sharepoint 2013..

so i did the following as a test:-

1. i open sharepoint designer 2013.
    2. i create a new sharepoint 2010 reusable workflow.
    3. save it , then publish it.
    4. i went to a content type inside sharepoint designer. click on "associate existing workflow", and i select the reusable workflow i just created:-

enter image description here

1. final step inside the site setting page, i set to update all the content type as follow:-

enter image description here

so now based on my understanding, i should have the following:-

1. a workflow associated with a site content type.
    2. and this workflow should be associated with all the list content types (based on step 5).

but i am facing this problem:-

1. when i create/edit an item, the workflow will not work/fire.
    2. also when i went to the related list content type and i checked the related workflows, i can not see the reusable workflow i just added.

so can anyone adivce on this please?

side note i have read some articles which mentioned that associating a workflow with a content type is not a valid option in SP2013 as mentioned on this link for example. although in SP designer the options are there.

so can anyone adivce on this please? how i can define a workflow at the content type level, so all the lists which uses this content type will have the workflow ,, is this possible ?

• Edited by johnjohn11 Thursday, December 22, 2016 3:14 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I tested this in my local based on Document content type and it works as expect.

Confirm you have check below options for your content type workflow:

You could try to validate your workflow are updated to exist instance by:

Library settings->Workflow Settings

The link you mentioned above is talking about SharePoint 2013 workflow( can’t scope to specific content type).

Best Regards,

Lee

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 23, 2016 5:25 AM