Read barcode from barcode reader / device RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

How do i read the barcode from barcode reader / device? 

Thanks

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 6:39 AM

Answers

• Hi bdnp,

Thank you for posting.

Based on your description, it seems that you would like to use SerialPort to achieve your goal.

Generally speaking, the vendor of device will support some interface about SerialPort. You could run the interface(app) before you will run your application. Then, you can scan the barcode and the text of barcode will be filled in the current cursor position. So, the first solution, you can contact to the vendor of device to get the helpful information.

The second solution, you can code this function via SerialPort. But, I don’t think that this is a good idea for you. Of cause, you can try it. Please check the following link. http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/serialcommunication.aspx

Regards,

Larcolais

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:34 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:27 AM
  • On 2010-11-09 07:39, bdnp wrote:
    > How do i read the bar-code from bar-code reader / device?
    >

Most barcode readers are connected to the keyboard and will read the
    barcode and translate it into "text" and put the text into the keyboard
    buffer.

This means that you just need to make sure that the cursor is in a
    textbox that can receive the barcode text.

There are more advanced readers that have their own API. But I have
    never used anything other than the once that put their stuff into the
    keyboard buffer...

// Anders

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:00 AM
  • Hi

There are multiple symbologies for barcodes (EAN, UPC and many others). First you need to define which symbology are you goint to use.

Read a barcode is simple, just plug the barcode reader and open any application (Notepad for example) and scan the barcode of any product. Any barcode reader is just an input device that works indepent of software. If you create a c# apllication just scan the barcode in a text box for example.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:55 AM

All replies

• On 2010-11-09 07:39, bdnp wrote:
    > How do i read the bar-code from bar-code reader / device?
    >

Most barcode readers are connected to the keyboard and will read the
    barcode and translate it into "text" and put the text into the keyboard
    buffer.

This means that you just need to make sure that the cursor is in a
    textbox that can receive the barcode text.

There are more advanced readers that have their own API. But I have
    never used anything other than the once that put their stuff into the
    keyboard buffer...

// Anders

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:00 AM
  • Thanks Anders. 

Can you suggest some useful examples

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:33 AM
  • Hi bdnp,

Thank you for posting.

Based on your description, it seems that you would like to use SerialPort to achieve your goal.

Generally speaking, the vendor of device will support some interface about SerialPort. You could run the interface(app) before you will run your application. Then, you can scan the barcode and the text of barcode will be filled in the current cursor position. So, the first solution, you can contact to the vendor of device to get the helpful information.

The second solution, you can code this function via SerialPort. But, I don’t think that this is a good idea for you. Of cause, you can try it. Please check the following link. http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/serialcommunication.aspx

Regards,

Larcolais

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Hi

There are multiple symbologies for barcodes (EAN, UPC and many others). First you need to define which symbology are you goint to use.

Read a barcode is simple, just plug the barcode reader and open any application (Notepad for example) and scan the barcode of any product. Any barcode reader is just an input device that works indepent of software. If you create a c# apllication just scan the barcode in a text box for example.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:55 AM